SIX

''So the Macquoid family are part of the founders of the Lycan kingdom,'' I repeated Conrad's answer.

''Yeah,'' He answered, using his thumb to trace my held hand.

'It feels intimate.' I watched at his movement, trying not to blush.

''Is that why the duke is pushing his daughter to become queen?'' I stared at him.

He stopped his intimate action and met my gaze for a moment before asking, ''Did the duke do something?''

I avoided his eyes since I couldn't lie with his eyes staring and answered, ''That was not my question.''

''He said something, didn't he?'' Conrad questioned with a frown.

I looked at him and warned, ''Don't do anything.''

Momentarily staring at me, he sighed, ''I know.''

I nodded and spoke, ''You didn't answer my question.''

He chuckled lowly, ''You really, don't let go.''

''Not a chance,'' I said with a small smile.

He did not say anything after my statement and just stared at me.

I frowned and asked, ''what's wrong?"

My question seemed to bring him out from his reverie, and he removed his hand from mine.

He groaned with his hands covering his face and mumbled, ''I really....''

''Are you okay?'' I asked.

''No... Um...'' He removed his hand from his face and looked at me seriously. ''Do not smile to anyone apart from me.''

''You know I have a family, right?'' I raised an eyebrow at his words.

'He said it with a serious face like it is important,' I thought amusingly.

''Yeah, That was stupid of me to say that,'' He mumbled.

I laughed softly.

''Then don't smile at any male apart from me,'' He repeated with a firm face.

''You know I have a brother, right?'' I commented amusingly.

''You know what I mean,'' He deadpanned.

I giggled at his straight face.

He smiled when seeing me laughing.

''Okay, let me answer your question,'' Conrad stated, holding my hand again to play with,

''Well, as you knew, I didn't have a mate before you, and the nobles were anxious since there was no heir to the throne,'' He said.

''I didn't have any concubine or mistress. But women did throw themselves at me. And I wouldn't be surprised if nobles sent most of them,'' Conrad continued.

''The best way to teach some of them was to kill those women. I mean, they did know what they were doing when sneaking into my room, office, or claiming to be pregnant with my child,'' He explained.

I raise an eyebrow at that last sentence.

'No wonder there were rumors about him killing women,' I realized.

''The women stopped coming at my action to previous ones which I am sure the nobles stopped doing what they did, and they moved to next option which was Brittney'' He carried on.

''I think the rumor about not wanting a mate generated from my actions,'' He remarked.

''But I avoided Brittney at all cost even when she entered my office. I didn't go close to her or touch her. You can ask Harrison.'' He said with a serious expression.

''She stood by the door, and I stayed seated, ignoring her. My beast almost killed her when she tried seducing me once,'' He added.

''I know,'' I replied, smiling inwardly while imagining that scenario.

''I waited for my mate and thought it was a lycan, but I didn't know it would be you, a werewolf and lycan,'' He said.

''I hated your kind because of a false story.'' He kissed the back of my hand. ''And for that, I apologize with my name as the King,'' 

''But that didn't answer my question about Brittney,'' I asked after he dropped my hand.

''Well, she has noble blood as the duke's daughter and the founder's family and high status,'' Conrad said, playing with my hand.

''I see,'' I uttered.

'No wonder he called me a lowborn,' I understood, remembering the duke's words.

''But don't worry, Even if you do not have noble blood, I will protect you no matter what,'' Conrad declared.

''Hmm,'' I nodded.

'But you are better than that britshit with been a half-god,' Artemis made her presence known in my mind.

I snickered aloud at her comment.

''What?'' Conrad asked, puzzled.

''No, Artemis said something funny.'' 

''I see. Damien has always wanted to meet her.'' 

''Damien?'' I did not know the person.

''My Lycan's name, he is Damien,'' Conrad said with pride.

''She would love to meet him someday,'' I answered without asking Artemis's opinion.

'Hmph!' She replied in my mind.

I grinned at her antics.

''Ah! yes, before I forget, I met duke Macquoid on my way,'' I almost forgot about him.

''So he did say something after all,'' Conrad narrowed his eyes at me.

''Don't worry, I won't do anything to him or ask,'' As I was about to warn him again, He released my hand and stood up.

''I have a meeting with him. I will be back later in the evening,'' Conrad leaned down to kiss my forehead and left the room without waiting for my response.

After the door closed, I mumbled, ''He won't do anything, right?''

'Well......' Artemis didn't say anything after that word.

Another two chapters,

Thank you for 2k reads

Enjoy!