Chapter 29

The next Indian function was upon them and it was the big one, Diwali. The Festival of Lights. Everyone bought new clothes, ate a lot of fancy food. It was kind of like Christmas and Thanksgiving rolled into one.

The Diwali function ended up being a joint function for all of Salt Lake County. So not only did Roshi's Indian community attend, but students from the University of Utah came, and even non-Indians came to participate. There were choreographed dances, songs, and skits. It was an evening of entertainment.

Because of this there was easily 500 people in attendance making it easy for Dev and Roshi to chat without anyone noticing. This year was being hosted at a hotel ballroom in Sandy. The hotels in that area were always cheaper since it was a bit out of town so they could get more space.

For this function Roshi wore a new outfit she bought from her India trip over the summer. It was a red skirt and blouse with a sheer shawl that was outlined in gold. She had been told on a few occasions she looked good in red and wanted to see Dev's reaction.

They got to the hotel and the decorations were beautiful. It looked like something you'd see at an Indian wedding with the rows and rows of flowers hung on the walls. While Roshi was admiring the decor she heard her little brother shout, Dev! She turned around to see Dev walk in. He was wearing a beige kurta with red lining and a red shawl. The color pattern for their two outfits were strikingly similar, almost as if they had coordinated. Which they didn't.

Hey little man, Dev said as Roshi's brother hugged him. Will you be my partner when they have the games, Urvin asked. Sure, Dev said. We'll definitely win then, Urvin said as he spotted his friends and ran off. Dev stood beside Roshi.

It looks like we planned this, he said motioning to their matching color scheme. Or you have a hidden camera in my room and you knew I was going to wear this, she said. That also, he said. They smiled. I didn't see your name on the agenda for tonight, he said, I was expecting a dance. 

How about you sing and I dance, she said. Okay deal, he said. Deal, she said as she walked away.

The night kicked off with the traditional national anthem and then the songs and dances planned by various members of the community. Some good, some not so good. The MIGs dance was always good. They always did a dance to a recent Hindi hit that the crowd loved.

They got to a halfway point and did a small pooja and asked all of the "kids" to come onto the stage. At 18, Roshi felt she shouldn't be in this group but Dev was there as well so she didn't feel entirely stupid. The aunty did a prayer and then tied a piece of string to everyone's wrist that was blessed from a temple in India.

After that the schedule showed the next hour was going to be classical religious songs sung by older members of the community. Most of the high school kids bounced at this point and just wandered around the grounds. Roshi noticed Dev was gone as well. He must be hanging out with his new friends. Since Roshi had no friends she was stuck watching.

She then got a WhatsApp text from Dev.

Meet me in Ballroom 5E

Roshi had no idea what this was about, but was able to sneak away without being seen. She found Ballroom 5E and went in without anyone seeing her. This room was much smaller than Ballroom 1A where the Diwali function was being held. This room was probably designed for 50 people max.

She walked in to see the lights dimmed and Dev sitting on the small dance floor in the middle of the room. She walked toward him. What's going on, she asked. Sit with me, he said. She sat next to him and then noticed there was also some religious powders, a small fire, and other little bottles and food.