1

Chapter One: Welcome Home

Houston, Texas
May 2
Beyoncé Giselle Knowles

Ten years. For some shit I didn't even do.

I could've fought the charges, could've told them to prove my guilt since they were so adamant about putting me away. That was the intention. But when I saw my pregnant girlfriend, my daughter, and our community in that courtroom, I knew leaving them forever was not an option. The system wanted to tear me away from them for a crime I didn't commit.

The police had come to my new home and snatched me away from the happiness that I had fought so hard to create. They left my woman in a sea of her own emotions, disregarding the hearts that they had broken. They didn't care that she was pregnant or that they were putting more stress and more strain on her.

They were ruthless. And they would continue to be.

"Let me tell you something Ms. Knowles. I told you before that your fingerprints were all over that girl, but your prints are on that knife, on her clothes, on the sheets. You say you were at the hospital and that you can prove that, but none of that matters to a jury when your fingerprints are everywhere. You can fight it, but you're facing twenty-five to life."

I sat back, attempted to cross my arms but was roughly reminded that the luxury had been stolen from me. I sighed, "You say that like I have options."

"You can take the guilty plea."

"How many years?"

"Only ten."

Only ten. People loved to add a 'only' or a 'just' when it wasn't them that was doing the time.

I was glued to my seat, the thoughts in my mind deafening the officers in front of me.

Ten years...

Ten damn years...

I didn't think I'd make it, but I did. I told myself if Onika could handle being both dead and alive simultaneously, I could handle this. Getting back to my woman and my girls got me through, made me stronger, and drove me to make it to the end of this bid.

It was best that I didn't let the other women know, but the friendships and connections I'd made in here made that impossible.

They knew I was out of here. Usually when it was other women's time to leave, there was hazing and interference, but they were excited for me. They wanted me to be back with my family, knew that we were of different cloths and I couldn't take this forever.

The shower curtain opened and Talia met me with her grin. She was just as tall as me with slanted eyes like Onika. In here, I took care of her because I looked at her like she could be our daughter.

"You should tell the wife I said hey."

"Okay Talia."

She shut the curtain and I went back to my shower before the curtain opened up again.

"Yes Talia?"

"We're gonna miss you around here. We're gonna beat up the next girl that gets your bed."

I shook my head at her, stepped under the water, and let it rinse the soap from my body. I had been in here for at least an hour, trying to wash away the stale smell of this place. I had to be fresh and clean for my girl.

"Do not do that. I thought we were getting past that."

"Well you're leaving now so we're back to violence," She smiled.