2

Chapter Two: Daddy's Home

Houston, Texas
May 2
Beyoncé Giselle Knowles

"Come on girls, heads in beds," I followed Ivory and Cetiri to their bedrooms.

I couldn't help but to feel like I had missed out. The last time I saw Ivory's bedroom, she had a crib. Now, she had a queen sized canopy bed with sheer pink curtains framing. Cetiri wanted to be just like her sister, had gotten the exact same bed except the color on her curtains were baby blue.

I sat on the edge of Cetiri's bed as she wiggled into her warm covers. I pulled them up to her neck and I saw her rubbing her feet together like a little fly.

"I look just like you," She said, and she did.

"You do. I'll show you pictures of me when I was your age."

I fixed the wrap on her head, tying it tighter in the front.

"Nana showed me some when you were a baby. You had some real big ears Mama."

We both giggled. I kissed her on her forehead, "Good night baby girl."

"I'm so happy you're home. Mommy misses you so much sometimes, when I get up to pee, I can hear her crying."

I felt her sadness, had heard the same tears from my mother. Different hurt, same tears.

I told her, "Mommy won't be crying anymore. I promise."

She wiggled further into the covers, "Good night Mama."

I kissed her again and turned off her light as I walked out, shutting her door. I went down to Ivory's bedroom and she quickly stuffed a book under her covers, turning on her side. When she saw it was me, she grinned at me.

"Good night Mama."

"Your mother must get on you about reading at night."

She smiled and nodded, "I've only got a hundred pages left. I can get it done in the next hour. There's a lot of dialogue."

"Your mother tell you to put it away?"

She nodded.

"Then listen to her. You can get to it tomorrow."

"You're not gonna leave again, are you?" She twiddled her fingers, "Mommy does her best, but everybody's so happy when you're around Mama. Even Kiyomi is in a better mood after she talks to you."

"I'm not gonna leave again sweetie."

"Give me your pinky," She held hers out.

I pinky promised her, kissed her forehead, and left her room, turning the light off.

In our bedroom, Onika was reading a book too. She saw me and put it away quickly. I could see where Ivory got it from.

"I put the girls to bed," I grinned, so happy that I was able to even say that.

I put the girls to bed. My girls.

"Ivory think she's slick again? Put that damn book down Lovely!"

"Mommy I did!"

I shook my head and shut the bedroom door. She became a different woman. She took off her glasses and looked at me, yearning.

"Lock that door and come to bed please."

I did. I crawled into the bed, reaching under the covers to caress her smooth skin. I missed touching her, missed watching her react to me when she felt my hands on her. I knew she missed me. It was in her face, in the way she squirmed closer.