19

Chapter Nineteen: Remember

Athens, Greece
July 20th
Beyoncé Giselle Knowles

"Just... Take it easier on her than you do him," With my wife in one hand and a disposal cell in the other, I made an international call that would cost me more than Cetiri's karate training.

My wife clung to me, her steps and mine so in sync. She looked at me, all nosey, wanting to know contents of the conversation.

"So I can assume this is personal."

"This is business," I reminded him.

"Come to my art show when you get back to the States."

"As long as there's entry."

"Everybody gets in."

"Call your cousin."

I ended the phone call and tossed the phone. Onika smacked my arm fast.

"We are in Greece, why are you littering like a hooligan?" She was smiling from ear to ear when I looked at her, her ring up to her face.

"You love that thing."

"So pretty."

My daddy told me that girls like diamonds, but my mama told me that more than that, girls like diamonds that meant something. So I took half of the diamonds that she'd given me and went to the source, crafting Onika her own personal wedding ring.

All the women in my life had gone into the ring, their initials engraved in the band and ours in the rock itself. I knew my wife. I knew she'd love that. The meanings of things mattered more.

I hadn't asked her the significance of the emerald and sapphire sitting on my ring finger, and I wouldn't. Not until she was ready to tell me. I just wanted her to be happy. Just wanted us to be happy.

"Do you remember when Cetiri was conceived?"

I nodded as I opened the door to our house for her. It wasn't 'ours', but we had rented for our honeymoon.

She walked in and turned around to me, wrapping her arms around my neck the moment the front door shut, "Remember baby?"

"Your birthday. That's why me and them have the same damn birthday."

"Y'all do not have the same birthday."

"Basically. You get your freak on for your birthday, don't you?"

She smiled and her dimples smiled back at me. I leaned down and kissed them both.

I no longer wanted to be angry with the woman that had been with me for ten years. She had wandered off the path a bit, but what human, in a span of a decade, hadn't? Ten years was a long time yet every single week, she was across that glass with one of my daughters and when she gave birth, both.

Dedication to keep me close to my children deepened my love for her by the day. My daughters meant more to me than any soul in the world, and she had assisted in keeping them as close to me as she possibly could. For that, she was loved and respected in perpetuity.