17

Chapter Seventeen: Lovely

Houston, Texas
July 3rd
Beyoncé Giselle Knowles

I saw her out of the corner of my eye, standing in the bathroom doorway, untying that tiny silk robe she had on. I knew she thought I was angry with her. She thought she had to make something up to me. It wasn't the truth, but it's what she thought.

"Ms. Maraj, you aren't pregnant."

Those words made the world deflate around me. She wasn't pregnant. Maybe it was all the stress. Maybe Eric had come through and stolen all of that away. But I wasn't angry. I understood women's bodies and all the complications that came with a pregnancy. Not angry, just wished she was pregnant.

She shut off the bathroom light and I flipped through channels to distract myself. I had a lot on my mind, those five words repeating in my mind.

"Baby don't get in this bed and ignore me."

I did anyway, but she knew that was coming. She crawled into the bed on her side and I could see her breasts spilling out of her robe.

Through all this fighting we had been doing, I hadn't been anywhere close. I was tired of fighting. I wanted to marry her and have another baby. A baby that I could be here for. A baby whose life I would refuse to miss out on.

"I'm sorry baby. I thought I was," She sat with one leg underneath her, crossing her arms and closing her robe unintentionally. "Can I come over there? Say no if you don't want me over there."

I didn't say a word. She came to me, straddling me. She pecked my lips over and over, holding my neck, our eyes watching with each kiss. She was so damn intense, kissing me slow, rocking slow, knowing what it did to me.

"I'm sorry. I never would've brought you if I knew I wasn't pregnant," Her kisses felt like lilac wine. There wasn't another person I wanted more than this woman, and it wasn't her fault that she wasn't carrying.

"Stop apologizing," I replied with more kisses, "It's not your fault."

"I didn't go before because I was scared she'd tell me I'm not pregnant," She sighed and rested her forehead against mine, her eyes meeting mine, "I just wanna give you everything you want."

"Baby, we can get pregnant. It's okay. We'll have so much fun getting you pregnant too."

That made her smile.

I grabbed her by the waist, holding her up and she pushed my silk pajama pants down. I kissed her cheek, appreciated that I never had to waste words with her. I laid back fully and she came with me, kissing me lovingly until I kissed her back.

We smiled at one another, became one soul all over again. I didn't know who I'd be without this woman, didn't know who she would be without me. Some people just needed each other, and we hated to admit it, but it was the truth. She made me the best version of myself. Protecting her and protecting my girls gave me purpose. They were my purpose.

Before I could kiss her again, there was a knock on our bedroom door.

"Just act like you're sleeping, they'll go away," She whispered.