7

Chapter Seven: All on Me

Houston, Texas
May 14th
Beyoncé Giselle Knowles

Talia skipped her way down to my window, her eyes brightening when she saw who sat on this side of the Plexiglass. She picked up the phone, her white teeth greeting me before her words.

She looked healthy, like her bartering skills had improved with the tips I had given her. She was smiling more so that was good, and she'd obviously made a friend or two because her hair had been braided back.

I knew I was supposed to disconnect myself from the prison and all of its participants, but I felt like they were all I had right now. They were real with me. They had seen me at my worst, forcefully.

"You look so good. Doesn't look like you've been fighting."

"Let's go with that then."

I couldn't say I didn't expect that. As long as she was okay though, I was okay with that.

"Anybody got my bunk yet?"

"You know it. Honey we're just numbers in here. They had some blonde haired, blue eyed hussy on your bed hours after you left."

"I hope you kept your hands to yourself."

She rolled her eyes, but she nodded, "She hasn't given me a reason to touch her yet, and you told me not to be violent."

I loved that she was listening to me. She could see I wanted better for her and I wanted her to want better for herself. When I met her ten years ago, she was such a tough cookie and in those ten years, I had molded her into a calmer, nicer person. At least to me. She was like my child.

"I can't wait to get out of here Bey. I don't know what I'm gonna do, but I'm not gonna be in here anymore."

"Drop me a line when it gets close."

"Will you be here?"

"Of course."

She beamed.

I told her, "I'll always be here for you Talia."

She didn't have anyone else and now we were on two different sides of the fence. But in a few years, when she had served her time, I would be here for her.

"Love you Beyoncé."

"Love you too."

When I left her, she still had a grin on her face. I was happy to see it.

I went to see Ms. Nash. Knew there were other therapists, but my time there had connected me to her. Ms. Nash seemed to keep me sane for a decade, and it didn't feel right to see anybody but her. She knew my troubles and practically every thought in my mind. She felt like she was a part of my brain on the exterior. She felt like my mother.

I sat in her office with my feet swinging, feeling an amount of peace that I hadn't felt since I left those steel doors. When she came in and saw me sitting there, she smiled. I grinned right back.

"Beyoncé, how nice of you to come see me? I wish you'd see me in an outside office, but this is okay too."

"Sorry. I came to see Talia and just needed to talk."

She sat down across from me, "How's your transition into your life? New job? Wife?"

"My best friends' husband wants to put me in his field. He makes good money and he takes the jobs he wants. He travels all around the world and people know his name in places that they can't even pronounce it."