14

Chapter Fourteen: ...

Houston, Texas
June 12th
Onika Tanya Maraj

The girls came running in the house, hopping on the couch, cuddling up to me. Cetiri climbed up and kissed me all over my face. Ivory did the same, her hands holding my cheeks. They were ecstatic, excited, could feel that their parents were in sync once more.

"Hi Mommy!"

"Hi my pretty girls," I let them kiss me, wondered where Beyoncé had gone and why her and Ebony hadn't come this way.

"Who's that man Mama is talking to?"

I sat up, alerted. "What man?"

I didn't stay for the answer. I went to the door with my mini me's following closely behind. I stopped in my tracks when I saw Eric, or a man that looked like Eric. Had Eric's energy. That unnoticeable beauty mark under his left eye. It was Eric. In the flesh. Not dead.

"Who is that Mommy?" Ivory held onto my hand, squeezing when I couldn't answer.

Cetiri's squeeze brought me back to life. I turned around and brought them back to the living room. I couldn't give them the answers they wanted right now, especially Ivory. I didn't even have them for my damn self.

"Mommy will be right back. Sit still, okay?"

"Can we watch tv?" Cetiri asked.

I handed her the remote. My mind was so very clouded at the moment, they could do crack and I wouldn't notice.

I rushed back to the door, but my footsteps slowed down instinctively when I got closer. Behind Beyoncé, I placed my hand on her back.

"Oni," Eric called, but I didn't answer.

What was he doing here? How was he here?

"I thought you died," I said bluntly.

Beyoncé stepped closer to me, became my shield from nay harm that Eric could cause me. I had a flashback, remembered Halloween night so many years ago. Remembered her protecting me from Eric's constant disrespect.

"I mean she ain't wrong," Ebony said from behind him.

Eric whipped around, "And who the hell are you?"

"Don't worry about me Casper."

Beyoncé chuckled and Eric turned back around.

"I recognize my beautiful daughter, but who's the other one?"

This time I had to be the protector. Beyoncé practically jumped on him, but I ran between them. I kept my hand on her to stop her from going any further, but she was fired up, already.

"Say something else about my daughter, I'll kill you for real."

"Don't threaten me Beyoncé. Another violent offense and you'll be right back behind those bars."

Beyoncé was tense behind me, her energy running hot, knowing she couldn't do anything. Ebony had her back though. She slapped Eric upside the head and he staggered over, barely able to break his fall.

"Bitch—"

"Don't make me call my husband. He'll do you worse."

"Aren't you dead?! Why the fuck aren't you answering that?!"

I couldn't care less if Ebony called Cameron. Yeah Eric would get his ass beat, but it wouldn't get me any closer to the answers I needed.

I stared at Eric with my eyes wide, blinking over and over, wondering if all of this was just a bad dream. There was no way he was here, no way he was alive.

"Eric open your damn mouth."

"How's my baby girl?"

"Exactly how she was when you left her," Beyoncé's voice was laced with hatred. The disrespect was strong, and I couldn't blame her.

"Don't speak on my child," He mimicked her tone.

She scoffed," What? Your child? She just asked me who you are."

"Aren't you dead?" I asked him again.

He looked me dead in my face and said, "No."

My head was spinning. No? It didn't make any sense.

He asked Beyoncé, "How was that bid? I knew it had to put a strain on this dead relationship, huh? Onika's always been hot."

Everything began to ring. Beyoncé pushed me, about to throw punches at Eric, but Ebony placed herself between them. She pushed Beyoncé away and mushed Eric's face even though he wasn't moving.

"I knew it had to be you. You framed me for that shit?"

The fear in Eric's eyes was new, this aggressive part of Beyoncé was new. She had always been docile and sane around him, but because of him, she came back rougher and more guarded. She was ready put him in the soul right along with Shante.

But Eric's mouth was always something that got him into trouble. He just didn't know how to be quiet.

"I'd stay right there if I were you. You wouldn't want to go back, would you?"

"I suggest you shut the fuck up 'cause I don't mind going to jail," Ebony palmed his face like a basketball and practically scratched his face until he screamed and snatched away from her grip.

I stopped paying attention to them, gave Beyoncé my attention. I walked her back into the house, feeling her shaking hands on my wrists, trying to get past me.

I kicked the door shut behind me, left Ebony and Eric on that porch themselves. Four feet came running into the foyer, and Beyoncé's shaking began to even out. Ivory hugged her from behind. I let her go, let our children surround her in warmth that they were unaware was helping her. She hugged them both back. I watched her mood do a 180 when she hugged those girls.

"We missed you Mama," Ivory clung to Beyoncé's arm, holding onto her little sister as she guided them both back to the living room.

She ran this. This was her house. Her world, we were just living in it.

Beyonce looked back at me, but I let her go. I would rather her be in here than getting into trouble out there. Our neighbors would be here quicker than I could look their way, and Linda would bring that lawyer that she always kept on her hip.

I went back outside and Cameron had shown up, his brown Hugo Boss suit hugging his new runner's frame, his tie untied, his briefcase in his daughter's hands. He was trying his best to have a cordial conversation with Eric, but his fists were telling a different story. Ebony had turned into the damsel, hanging onto her big, strong man.

"Kiki come in the house!" I shouted and it broke all of the tension.

Cameron backed away, unballed his fists. Eric backed away, let his fists go too. Ebony took Kiki's hand and guided her into the house, telling me not to let anything happen.

Now how was I going to stop two big overgrown ass men from this?

Eric saw me and he was seething. He said, "Everything goes through me, whether you know that or not. I'm gonna get my daughter back and make sure she lives a normal life then I'm going to show Beyoncé who you really are."

"You sound like a bitch," Cameron said clearly, "And you won't even get that far. I don't know you and I don't know a damn thing about this situation, but I promise you, you won't get close."

________

Mind is literally empty y'all.