8

Chapter Eight: Unfortunate Events

Houston, Texas
May 14th
Onika Tanya Maraj

"Don't come in here trippin'," I heard the bedroom door close a lot louder for it to be one of the girls. And they were supposed to be asleep anyway.

"That's how I get greeted after being away all day?"

I sighed, realized she was right. I was so tense with her for no reason. I hadn't seen her all day long and I was giving her grief without her even saying a word.

I dropped my laundry and went to her, giving her a tight hug. She kissed me on top of my head, holding onto me just as tight. She breathed me in and I felt like I did all those years ago.

I melted.

"We should talk," She patted my butt like I was Ebony or Nadine, and I fell away.

"Are you okay?"

"I want to have a real conversation."

"Okay..."

I was confused, but she was calm.

"Kids sleeping?"

I nodded.

"Practice using your words."

I chewed my bottom lip, something I'd gotten from her. I was fighting the urge to go defensive.

"Are the kids sleeping?"

"Yes."

"Meet me in the den when you're done with this. Don't rush yourself," She kissed me on my cheek then walked back down the stairs.

I couldn't even focus on laundry anymore. I wanted to know what Beyoncé wanted to talk about. My mind could only go to Noir and everything I had yet to reveal.

I was scared. Didn't want to lose everything that I had been fighting for.. Didn't want to lose either one, honestly. It was a selfish position to be in, but my feelings were brutal.

The thumping in my heart grew with every step I took to the den. I walked in on her setting down drinks then sitting on one side of the rolling drink tray. She saw me, came over, took my hand, and guided me to my seat. She kissed me again and sat, taking her drink. I took mine, sipped the smooth Bourbon.

"I talked to Noir today."

My body tensed. She was watching my body language, studying me the way she had when we were still pretending to hide the emotions we had for each other.

"Why you getting all stiff on me?"

"What did the two of you talk about?" I asked her, knew it was always ask the questions first.

"Honey I'm so tired of games and reverse psychology. No games, please. Just be frank with me."

I sighed. I should just admit it, but I was so afraid. I messed up some, but that didn't mean I wasn't still in love. I just didn't want to lose her.