5

Chapter Five: Pretty Little Liar

Houston, Texas
May 3
Beyoncé Giselle Knowles

Jealousy seemed like a trait that was embedded in me now. That, and the carnal need to mark my territory.

Eight years. And it shouldn't have bothered me the way it did, but the moment was too awkward for me to ignore. I had learned my lesson, ten times over.

But we didn't know Shanté. Onika seemed to know Noir well. Had known Noir for eight years, and yet I had never heard of her despite speaking to Onika on the phone every single day.

The more I thought about it, the more it bothered me. I was becoming jealous of a woman that I had only met one time. I overthought about the times they spent together, the darkness in my mind questioning what all went down when they were together.

"Baby are you listening?" Onika squeezed my hand, stopping her walking.

We stood in the middle of her agency, telephones going off in every direction. Business was on the up and up for N.I.C. INC.

She had refused to go back to her old company and that was understandable, but she hadn't told me that she started up an entirely new agency.

There seemed to be a lot of things she hadn't told me...

She squeezed my hand again and I faked a smile. I looked around the waiting room, saw a separate room for the people that were genuinely waiting. Glass walls and smart tv's, they had it going on in there. They even had a fridge in there that was a free for all.

"Do y'all just go in there and get them?"

"No, some people get anxious, y'know? Don't like people looking at them when they step into a room. We have intercoms specifically for that room."

She held my hand as she guided me away from the room and over to the front desk. It was Marie, ten years senior, still looking like the Belle of the ball, this time with a big shiny rock on her wedding finger.

She looked up at me and smiled, "It's so nice to finally have you back Beyoncé. After everything that happened, it was a little crazy for us as staff. The agency shut down, didn't want that on their big insurance break. Y'know, the usual," She sighed, but kept going, "If it weren't for your wife, my son and I would be on the street. It took us a minute to get this thing off of the ground, but we're here."

Onika rubbed her hand, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. We've got a system."

Jealousy nagged at me. I was jealous for nothing. Marie was not a threat, but they had a 'system'. Maybe I was taking it too far.

"Come on baby."

I watched Onika's hips swing to the elevator. We stepped inside and she immediately pressed the emergency stop button. We stared out, but they could not see in.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Please don't come at me with that tone."

She sighed, running her fingers through her hair, "I'm sorry. I forgot. What's wrong?" Her tone was soft, like she had turned into my mother.

I chewed my bottom lip, fought with myself on whether or not I should tell her what was on my mind. We were happy, I had just gotten out, and I didn't want to ruin everything good we had going on. But like myself, Onika had caught the glimpse of a bad feeling, and she wasn't giving it up.