Chapter 12 - Shadow Puppets

"Has anyone warned you about what the consummation ceremony involves?" asked Maeve as we sparred

"I know there has to be proof that I've had sex with Elatha," I replied. Frankly, I'd tried not to think too hard about the ceremony itself, as an entire colony of butterflies had taken up roost within my belly every time I thought of what the specifics could entail.

She wrinkled her nose. "Yeah, I was afraid of that. It's more than that. You have to have sex with Elatha in front of the court, with proof that he's spent inside you."

My mouth dropped open, and I stopped moving. "Wow, that's very specific. I know you've told me nudity isn't a thing here, but public sex? Do elves just get it on wherever and whenever they want, with no regard to the presence of anyone else?"

She shrugged. "Sometimes, particularly during fertility festivals, but it's not an everyday thing. You can request to be behind screens, and they will hang white silk barriers so the court will see your shadows, but nothing more." She paused, hesitating. "If you think it's going to be too much and you won't be able to, I can ask one of the herbalists for a potion to relax your inhibitions and increase your libido," she offered.

I laughed and held up one hand in denial. "Right. I've got too much of you in me. The last thing I need is to increase my libido and relax my inhibitions. I'd end up screwing the entire court and still be looking for more."

Maeve grinned and nodded. "Okay, yeah. That's probably a bad idea."

"I like the idea of the screens, though. What did you mean by 'proof he's spent inside me'?" My suspicions had me shifting uncomfortably.

She snorted and rolled her eyes. "Pretty much exactly what it sounds like. You are going to need to show the King and Queen, Prince Elada as the Atlantean representative, and your Unseelie grandparents who are insisting on the marriage, that Elatha's cum is dripping out of you."

I wrinkled my nose in disgust. "Jeez, you elves don't pull any punches, do you." Having my suspicions confirmed didn't make me feel any better. Still, there wasn't much I wouldn't do to protect my son. If it meant he was safe, I'd gladly suffer the embarrassment. No amount of my pride was worth my son's life. "Elves are stuck in the dark ages, like on Earth, when bloody sheets or more had to be shown after a noble marriage consummation to prove a woman had been a virgin beforehand. Wait... how old are you?"

Maeve laughed. "Old enough that I know exactly what you are talking about, since that's not that long ago for me. Barely an eye blink. Although, I have to admit that I've truly never understood that mortal male obsession with female virginity. And don't forget, you're an elf too. Where do you think your propensity for bluntness comes from?"

I shook my head, unable to disagree. It really did seem like we were alike in a lot of ways. "Another thing I've inherited from you." Hopefully, enough to get me through this. With a hand pressed to my stomach, those butterflies were in full flight.