Chapter 55 - Loss

Pain had me gasping and clutching at the heavy weight on my chest as I woke

Pain had me gasping and clutching at the heavy weight on my chest as I woke. For a few seconds, my thoughts spun. Why did I hurt like my heart had been torn out? Yet my head was clear for the first time in days. A warm body pressed against mine, heat soaking into me despite the chill that travelled down my spine.

Something was very—

"SHANNON!"

I bolted upright, eyes searching my surroundings as the horrifying images of my goddess, my beautiful consort, being ripped apart by those fucking hellhounds and vrykolakas played as a torture reel in my mind. The light dying in her hazel eyes. The feel of teeth and claws rending flesh and bone as I tried to send every bit of life essence down the bond into her, to will her to survive.

"I love you."

The agony of our bond shattering. My soul shattering.

I couldn't breathe. Fuck. My lungs spasmed as seidhr swirled around me. Arms held me tightly, hugging me. A low, hoarse voice sobbed next to me. Hot tears on my shoulder.

"Please, Loki. I can't lose you, too. Please."

Elatha.

With teeth gritted, I clawed back control of my seidhr and finally saw beyond the nightmare images still flashing through my mind to the strong arms that held me. His dark hair was against my cheek, with his face pressed against my neck. A lump in my throat, I hugged him back, sliding my arms around him and one hand into his hair to hold him to me with savage intensity.

His sobs deepened and my agony swelled as my tears soaked his hair. For hours, we held each other and poured out our grief in a storm of rage and anguish. Until neither of us had any more tears to give.

We'd lost her and all my reasons for not binding him to me no longer mattered. I'd been a fool to not appreciate the time I'd had with both of them. To be so afraid of it. The dark gaping pit that had held my bond with Shannon mocked me. My soul would never be whole again.

Stomach churning, I forced the words past the emotion lodged in my throat. "Elatha, I'm sorry. Fuck, I'm so sorry."

Tear-soaked silver eyes met mine, then narrowed.

"Don't do that Loki. Don't you dare take on that blame. It's not what Shannon would have wanted. This was not your fault," Elatha growled, grabbing my tunic with his fist.

So fierce. Just like our Shannon.

I kissed him and poured all of our pain and regret into the passion that sparked between us. Not for energy. Not for some game between us. To show him how much he'd come to mean to me. For love.

"I love you."

He kissed me back with an eagerness and anguish that couldn't help but suffuse our very beings. We'd lost our Shannon and that wound would never fully heal. Not ever.