Chapter 17 - Isle of Skye

Manannan inclined his head politely

Manannan inclined his head politely. "We seek your guidance regarding a prophecy you gave at Princess Shannon's birth." He gestured towards me as he spoke.

Scota's dark eyes narrowed as lines appeared between her brows. "I don't recall being at the birth of a princess."

"She is Maeve's daughter, married to Prince Elatha of Fomora, and consort to Prince Loki of Asgard," Manannan clarified.

Scota's frown deepened as she met my gaze, then looked me over. "Maeve's daughter is only six or seven years old. This cannot be she."

Manannan's nostrils flared while his eyebrows lowered and mouth turned downward. He gave a disgusted grunt. "Dylan gave her to a mortal family on Litaui to raise. She grew up there."

"Really?" A dark eyebrow rose. "That must have been a shock when you found out you weren't human," she said, meeting my eyes again.

I inclined my head. "Indeed, it was."

"Married to Prince Elatha, consort to Prince Loki?" Pulling her gaze from mine, her dark eyes narrowed and lips pressed together tightly as she turned to take in Elatha, Elada, and Taliesin. "None of you are the Black Prince." A slender, but well-muscled arm gestured to the three of them. "Is one of you Elatha?"

"I am," Elatha answered, dipping his head in a slight acknowledgment while not taking his gaze from hers.

"Interesting. You are the one the Queens hand-fasted to Shannon on her first birthday?" Scota asked, tilting her head.

"Yes," he agreed, stepping closer to me and placing his hand on my lower back.

Scota waved a hand dismissively. "I recognize you, Taliesin. Who are these other two?" she asked, indicating Mist standing beside me and Elada on the other side of Elatha.

"Valkyrie Mist of Asgard and Prince Elada of Fomora," Manannan answered.

She eyed them both for a few minutes, mouth pursed as she seemed to take in their stance and weapons. "You remember the way to my home?" Scota asked, turning to look at Manannan.

"Yes. Thank you for allowing us on your island," he said, with another inclination of his head.

She gave a small nod. "I'll see you there then." Backing away without turning or taking her gaze from us, she stepped into a shadow and disappeared.

"That's an interesting ability," Mist said, voicing my internal thought.

"Yeah, no kidding!" I agreed. Some form of teleportation like Loki, perhaps? Or does she manipulate portal energy the way Aidan does?

Manannan grunted and started walking. "Scota is a fierce and deadly warrior. If she takes a liking to you, she'll train you. If she doesn't, you'll never see her coming before she slits your throat. I'd recommend not pissing her off," he advised as he led us down the beach.