Chapter 19 - Wisdom's Light

Amaethon and Goibhniu led Maeve and I out of the tavern, through the crowded walkways and the press of elven bodies

Amaethon and Goibhniu led Maeve and I out of the tavern, through the crowded walkways and the press of elven bodies. Taking a side path, we finally emerged into a quieter section of trees. Conversations floated out of homes as we passed by. Reaching a set of stairs, my uncles headed down several flights to the forest floor and we followed.

Stepping onto a stone path set amongst mosses and ferns, we wove between the tree trunks until the forest opened up to a small pond. Partially hidden in mists on the far side, a silver-haired female reclined on a hammock strung out over the water beside a little cottage. She wiggled her bare toes, swirling the water as we walked around the pond to join her.

A little gust of air ruffled the hair on Amaethon's and Goibhniu's heads. It seemed my great grandmother had a sense of mischief, if this was indeed her.

When we'd almost reached the cottage, she rose from her hammock, lightly stepping on air until she reached the shore. The gauzy blue fabric of her dress floated behind her, rippling in a breeze that only existed around her. Tiny braids of silver, tipped with blue beads, covered her head and complimented the blue of her eyes.

Coming to stand in front of us, she was taller than me by at least four inches. Despite my father's shorter stature, it was clear that height ran in my family, with both my great uncles—her sons—towering over her by at least half a foot. She held both hands out to me, taking mine in her long fingers.

"Shannon, granddaughter, I am so glad to finally talk to you," she said with a welcoming smile that lit up her eyes. "Please, let's sit." She gestured to chairs near one corner of the cottage.

"I'm very happy to meet you, Grandmother," I replied carefully as I chose a seat beside Maeve.

Her smile widened. "I'm Don, an elemental goddess like yourself."

Although I'd guessed she manipulated air at a minimum, hearing it was more than that gave me my first genuine feeling of connection to the paternal side of my family.

"I'd love to talk to you more about that," I said, smiling. "Perhaps I can come for another visit once I've saved my son."

Don's eyes darkened, a scowl forming. "I am ashamed my son and grandson have conspired with their wives to harm little Aidan. If there is any way we can save him, you have my help. What do you need?"

Amaethon explained the prophecy and what we'd figured out so far. "Wisdom's light—do you think it could refer to Baldur?" he asked her.

A gasp escaped my lips. I know that name!

Don nodded. "Yes, he was the God of Light, known for his youthful appearance and beauty here on Tír na nÓg as well as on Asgard. His death, coming only five hundred years after the dissolution of Odin and Freya's marriage, shattered the peace between the realms."

"Why?" I asked. It wasn't something Frigga had taught me yet. We'd only discussed the most recent war between Sidhe and Asgard.

"Baldur was a child of both realms, with Odin as his father and Freya as his mother. Their marriage was a political alliance to join Sidhe, Vanir, and Asgard. You know Freya is sister to the King Cernunnos of the Winter Realm? He's also known as Freyr, although he doesn't use that name much anymore. Both are children of Njord, the King of Vanaheim." She met my gaze.