Chapter 47 - Who Knew Farming Was So Dirty?

Baldur was surprising

Baldur was surprising. Given the little I knew about him from human mythology—even recognizing as inaccurate as that was—he was more charismatic than I expected. If someone had told me that Loki and Baldur were blood brothers, not just adoptive brothers, I would have believed it. Yet he was also strong like Thor, although not nearly as boisterous. Instead, his amusement was easier on the ears.

A gracious host, he showed us around the island, pointing out a little reading cave tucked away by a burbling waterfall and pool, with a lantern and comfortable couch. It was clear he remembered his brother's love of stories, as Loki couldn't stop himself from browsing Baldur's pile of books. With a flashing grin, he picked one and settled down to enjoy it, waving us onward to continue to explore.

Numerous waterfalls and pools, both freshwater and salt, provided small glimpses into the local sea life. Baldur introduced Elatha and me to the numerous colourful fish and glowing squid in the pools of corals, sea grass, and bioluminescent sea cucumbers. Although it didn't seem to affect Elatha, I noticed a distinct energy drain when I held or approached too close to the creatures and vegetation. Keeping back to observe at a distance, I listened to Baldur and Elatha discuss the intricacies of bioluminescent organisms with great enthusiasm. Elatha remained, conversing with several squid as Baldur and I continued to walk.

Stopping at another pool, Baldur gave a glowing blue squid a few instructions, after which it darted off through the energy barrier and into the blue depths of the ocean beyond.

A messenger service? "Who's Ennugi?" I asked, repeating the name Baldur had told the squid to find and bring here.

"The ferryman," Baldur explained. "I can't swim through the depths or fly across the skies like the three of you. Nor do I have my own boat. But as a former god, I'm permitted to travel throughout Helheim as long as I don't attempt to pass through one of the gates without Hades' permission."

I nodded. "A boat would be great. Even though Elatha and I benefit from the water, it still uses more energy for us to swim any distance at speed than the amount of energy we gain." I gripped Baldur's forearm and squeezed lightly as I held his gaze. "And I'm concerned about Loki. I know I'm a baby immortal and have a small ability to retain energy, but Loki's not. He's the Black Prince of Asgard, the strongest mage. He shouldn't be having this much trouble with his energy balance when he was fine during the time he spent with Hades creating his sword."

Baldur's eyes widened, then a grin stretched his lips as he patted my hand. "I can tell you are worried about him, Shannon, but it gladdens my heart to hear the way you speak of my little brother. It's wonderful to discover the potential I always saw in him has come to fruition. He was so confused and hurting when I died—a child only on the cusp of maturity by our standards."

"Yet from my point of view, he's ancient." I laughed, winked, and dropped my hand from his arm. "Shhh... don't tell him I said that."

Baldur chuckled and winked back. "Your secret is safe with me."