Chapter 46 - Mag Mell

Despite our urgency, I'd learned my lesson after crossing the Styx

Despite our urgency, I'd learned my lesson after crossing the Styx. On our way to Mag Mell, I insisted we stop at several intervening islands to rest and recharge. Effective, Shannon and Elatha continued to be energetic and enthusiastic about our journey.

But not me.

The closer we got to my brother, the more acid crept up my throat. I couldn't give in to it—we didn't have food to spare. Trying to ignore my nausea, I continued to swallow the fiery sensation down. Yet I couldn't blame it entirely on nerves at seeing him again.

After each shift between raven and my usual form, my skull pounded more fiercely. It was a spike burrowing into my brain and I was thankful for the absence of sunlight when the sun set some hours ago. Even the light of the moon on the water had me squinting. Especially when I knew there was a single moon, yet I saw two blurred versions.

Unsure of which was the correct one, I split the difference and hoped I still headed in the right direction.

I'd verified our path with souls whenever we stopped at an island and they all told me the same thing—we couldn't miss Mag Mell. Largest of the islands, they said it was unusual in that it was below the water level, like a clear bowl sunk just before the top of its rim into a lake. The energy of the island held the water back and created waterfalls to mix with freshwater springs on the island.

And they were right. The dip in the water drew my eye, even with my inability to focus clearly.

We were off course, and I turned slightly to correct our path. "I see Mag Mell ahead. We'll reach it within the next hour," I told Shannon.

"Good. It sounds like you could use another meal and recharge. You must be exhausted for your words to slur, my love. Elatha and I are doing well with the water helping us. Let us take care of you when we get there," Shannon replied, her tone wrapping around my aching mind in the tenderest of hugs.

Yggdrasil's roots. I didn't want them worrying about me. Not wanting to say anything else when I couldn't control this stupid concussion that should have healed by now, I simply sent my love down our bond.

Beak held tight, lacking the teeth I wanted to grit in this current form, I beat my wings until I caught another thermal allowing me to glide. Time seemed to slow down, each moment taking longer as the island inched closer. By the time I was within landing distance, a glow on the horizon foretold the sun's rising.

Shannon and Elatha beat me to land, slipping over a waterfall at the energy barrier's edge and into a pool on the island. From the air, I took in the central grey and white stone building. With pillars, arches and terraces, it was a smaller version of the palace on Asgard. Paths and gardens surrounded the structure on multiple levels.

As I swooped down to land next to Shannon and Elatha standing at the bank of the pool and tall waterfall, my heart clenched at the golden-haired Asgardian strolling out from the palace.