Chapter 31 - Invisible Assist

The sight of the familiar green glow of our outpost made me realize how different my life had become of late

The sight of the familiar green glow of our outpost made me realize how different my life had become of late. Aside from the occasional diplomatic trip to the Summer Realm, or one of the dwarven kings' realms in Nidavellir, I spent little time out of Fomorian territory. I was going to miss it when I moved to Asgard. Did they even have oceans on Asgard? The idea of doing without had a shiver of uncertainty rippling over my spine.

We passed through the water gate into the outpost, and I nodded distractedly to the guards. Would I be trapped on Asgard or would they allow me to use the bifrost to come and go? My gut twisted at the thought of being away from the ocean for months at a time. I loved Shannon, but would our relationship survive at that kind of cost? I needed the ocean. It was an integral part of me.

"Elatha... Elatha!"

My head jerked up, and I blinked.

Elada scowled at me. "Where in the kelp forest is your head? I've been calling your name for the last few minutes."

Everyone was looking at me and heat crept up my cheeks. "Sorry. I was gathering seastars. What did you want?"

"Do you want to stock up on provisions before going through to Litaui, or are you fine with what you packed from the Seelie?" he asked.

I already had my trident and blades on me. Just because I was going to complete the marriage ceremony with Shannon hadn't meant I wasn't going to be prepared for anything while I'd been in the Summer Realm. Even knowing most summer elves found the winter elves' rituals vile, I was still distrustful of the race as a whole.

With a few exceptions, of course.

Smiling at Shannon, I replied, "I definitely want some of our provisions." She loved the seaweed rolls that we preferred as travel rations and anytime I found something I could do for her or provide for her, I wanted to. They packed well, and with the dried shrimp and fish mixture, the rolls lasted months. It took only the lightest use of water manipulation to bring them back to their rehydrated state.

Elada nodded, and we diverted from the main path that led to the central core of the outpost to a side branch transport bubble that would take us to the commercial district. Although we called these surface ocean territories 'outposts', the name was misleading as at least twenty thousand Fomorians lived in each. Being in the sunlit southern ocean, it was just over a day's swim to Star Tunnel, the main surface ocean to underground sea connection in this part of the planet. Hy-Brasil, our capital city, was another two week swim beyond that, but other large cities of our territory were closer, resulting in brisk trade between the larger cities below and the smaller outposts above.

Taking Shannon's hand, I guided her into the transport circle. The guard outpost I'd previously taken her to near the border with Nidavellir and the Tunnels of Glass was too small to need within-city transport. It made me wonder what she'd make of our transport bubbles and water tubes. I turned to see if Loki needed guidance, but he already stood beside me. When had he become familiar with our bubbles?