Chapter 53 - Off The Rails

Gods, this cold sucks

I'd modified my fighting leathers to include fur-lined boots and a hood to shield my head, but I was still cold. Damn it, I was not a fan of cold, unless it meant I was on one of the ski hills near my Vancouver home. Even then, I bundled up in layers. My goddess powers meant I rarely experienced cold now. Why would I when I could modify the air temperature around me? But I couldn't waste energy needlessly. Not now. Not when I might need it to fight.

Twisting around every few minutes, I checked behind me to ensure my cloaking fog continued surrounding Loki and Elatha. It did no good to muffle the sound of our passing through this frozen wasteland if they stuck out like a goose turd on freshly fallen snow. This damn realm made it harder than it should have been and my stomach rumbled, pain cramping. I was getting hungry and burning too much energy, but we had to be close. Surely it couldn't be much farther.

Perhaps we'd be able to stop to get food out of the packs before we descended the cliff ladders by the roaring cauldron spring. Or maybe beside it at the bottom, if it was safe.

I'd definitely like a boost of energy before we fought the geminii twin giants, Lugal-irra and Meslamta-ea, that guarded the gate. From Loki's description, they sounded like huge viking warriors with their horned helms and battle axes. Of course, Baldur and Loki had grinned when talking about fighting them. I shook my head. Crazy, both brothers.

I snorted quietly. Who was I kidding? All three of them were like that. If he was here, Thor would be diving right into that fight with his brothers.

Elatha wasn't as eager, although he certainly didn't back down or shy away from a fight if needed. Yet he didn't seem to view it as sport. I enjoyed that difference, but by the same token, I wanted him to fight for himself more. My heart was uneasy, a pit in my centre that he hadn't challenged Loki about the still incomplete soulmate bond. Elatha hadn't been quiet about wanting Loki, but he kept letting Loki turn aside from the final step. He hadn't called Loki on it. Was he afraid Loki wouldn't, so if he didn't ask, he didn't have to face the rejection?

A smile turned my lips up in the corners as I recalled them together last night. In my fantasies, I'd never considered how hot it'd be to see them together. Even though Elatha had the larger muscle mass, he'd writhed and begged on Loki's lap. Fuck, that had been insanely hot. I'd been sure Loki would finally take Elatha when he'd begged Loki to fuck him.

But Loki continued to resist.

Was it me? Did I need to leave the two of them on their own so Loki would quit putting me in the middle and avoiding intercourse? It seemed every time they would, Loki turned aside at the last moment.

Moving a little faster, I caught up with Baldur, leaving Loki and Elatha farther behind.

"Shannon, it worries me when you and Baldur get so far ahead," Loki said. "We don't want to move so fast that we attract attention."