Chapter 41 - Road to Hell

Ao Run's lips turned up on one side, and he inclined his head

Ao Run's lips turned up on one side, and he inclined his head. "I don't know, Prince Loki. It seems your consorts have quite enjoyed raising your spirits and returning you to fine health." Amusement glittered in his pale eyes.

He'd enjoyed the show, had he? Unlike his brothers, who turned into smoke, mist, and an icy fog, Ao Run became entirely invisible when he wanted to be—a true master air elemental. Shannon and Elatha wouldn't have known what to look for, and me... well, I'd been a little distracted.

"I enjoyed their efforts on my behalf, as you saw," I said, an eyebrow raised.

Ao Run laughed, a deep rumbling chuckle that belied his current appearance and revealed the true immensity of his dragon form. "Indeed, you caught me out. In my defense, I did tell your consorts I would ensure no one disturbed them while they treated your injuries." He extended his hands to the sides and shrugged, eyes twinkling. "How was I to know I'd get free porn out of the deal?"

Shannon's embarrassment trickled through the bond, and I squeezed her hand reassuringly.

"Should we apologize?" asked Elatha, a half-smile on his face.

Ao Run's grin widened. "No, not at all. Please, Princess Shannon, don't blush on my account. I could have looked away or made no mention of it, but the three of you are beautiful in your desires. What kind of dragon would I be to fail to acknowledge the glory of your union? I'm going to treasure this memory frequently, as I am currently without a partner of my own." Completely unrepentant, he winked at Shannon, then wiggled his eyebrows at Elatha.

Elatha snorted a laugh.

Shannon's mouth dropped open, and she blinked a few times. "Did he just imply... is he going to masturbate to the memory of us?"

"Yes, darling. That is exactly what he just said," I replied, amused at her scandalized tone.

Laughing when Ao Run blew Shannon a kiss, I slowly shook my head, disguising the throbbing pain. Even with that small movement, my vision blurred on the edges. There was no doubt I had a concussion, yet we couldn't afford to wait for me to heal. Only thirty-two Asgardian days remained until Aidan's birthday. Time slipped through my fingers like the fine grains of sand on this beach.

Through force of will, I maintained my balance and carefully enunciated my words. "It is a pleasure to speak with you. How long has it been? Almost a millennium here on Midgard? We don't seem to cross paths often enough."

Au Run nodded and the breeze stirred his hair, blowing the fine white strands back from his face. "Yes. I believe the last time we spoke was shortly after you corrupted Ao Guang's temples in the Aztec empire. He never did discover I led you there to deal with the horrid sacrifices and deaths he was causing. My brothers would have decimated that civilization if it wasn't for your intervention."

"It seems you spend far more time than you should have to, cleaning up after them."

Ao Run sighed and ran a graceful hand through his hair. "Indeed I do." A frown furrowed his brow as his eyes lost their mischief. "Speaking of which, please let me escort you to the gate of Diyu. My brothers will surely attempt to block you again. I'm disgusted they're trying to keep you from reincarnating your brother and saving your son from that appalling curse. You can be sure I'll keep them from you so you can get through the door."