chapter thirty nine.

Head games — Foreigner

  EVEN THOUGH SHE WAS STILL VERY ADAMANT about not doing karate again, Cyn decided it was best to join the lessons on the sidelines, to make sure Johnny and Daniel wouldn't kill each other. She knew all of this was a long shot but, almost everyone she cared about was involved in karate, and she was going to do her best to make sure that they could continue doing it. Even if she had to play mediator.

Which was going to prove to be hard, knowing both sensei's.

"Hey, dad. I'm ready to head over to Miyagi-do whenever you ar—" Cynthia felt her heart leap out of her chest when she seen the woman standing next to her dad.

From her long brown hair, to green eyes, and full lips, it was her mother in full flesh and blood.

"Oh, I am not doing this today. Absolutely not." Cyn shook her head, walking around the pair who looked like they had been crying. "She doesn't get to do this today, not of all days."

"Cynthia, maybe you should hear her out, you forgave me." Simon reached out to his daughter but, she instantly jerked away, placing her fingers on her temple.

"I forgave you because you came back and apologized, you left because she didn't want you home anymore and you had no money. She dropped me off here a year ago and never fucking called!" the Sari girl felt anger bubbling up inside her as she slammed her fist on the table harshly. "There's no excuses for that, because that's not what a mother does to their daughter who loves them."

"Honey, that's not fair. I had to have time for myself, to cope with it all. With your father and I breaking up and—"

"No, this isn't happening." Cynthia shook her head and opened the front door. "I'm getting an uber, have a great life, Penelope."

She made sure to slam the door as hard as she could, to prove a point, of course.

  CYNTHIA SIPPED ON HER GATORADE AS SHE watched her friends stand up entirely straight. Theo stood between Sam and Miguel, Hawk and Demetri stood side by side where they belonged, and it made the girl smile. She was nowhere near forgiving the Moskowitz boy but, she was glad Demetri did.

They needed each other.

"Ready?" Daniel spoke, looking around at everyone.

"Let's begin." Johnny shouted even louder, and unnecessarily if Cyn had anything to say about it.

Everyone looked awkwardly at each other, not exactly sure what they were "ready" for or what they needed to "begin". It was obvious these two men didn't exactly have a plan for what they wanted, or needed to do, and Cynthia shook her head. If they couldn't agree on warmups, would they be able to agree on anything?