chapter forty one.

I'm not mad — Halsey

  CYNTHIA'S HAND SHOOK AS SHE WAITED FOR her mother to walk into the restaurant. After literally everyone in her life told her to give the older woman a chance, she decided maybe she should. The Sari girl knew she would regret not doing it, even if this turned into a complete and utter shit show.

"Hi, sweetie." Penelope rounded the corner, and as she bent down to take a seat, leaned over to kiss her daughter on the cheek. Cyn quickly jolted back, making both of them clear their throat lightly.

This was going to be awkward.

"Hey." Cynthia spoke plainly, nervously sipping on her water.

"You didn't order anything?" Penelope questioned, letting her hand graze against the menu as she read it.

"Not even the least bit hungry." The Sari girl answered, looking up in the air. "So, what did you want to talk about, mother?"

"I would like you to consider letting me take you every weekend, to my new home." The older woman smiled. "It's nice, and big, even bigger than our old one."

Cynthia narrowed her eyes in disbelief at the woman she once called "mom", she didn't know if it was because she was older now, and had become her own person but, she was seeing Penelope in a whole new light than she once did as a child.

"So, while dad and I are living with Bianca in a one bedroom, you're living it up in a mansion." The Sari girl laughed annoyedly, before speaking again. "That is so nice. I am happy for you, really."

"Well, I didn't exactly buy it." Penelope lightly cleared her throat, knowing the next part wouldn't be received quite well. "I live with my fiancé."

"Oh, great. It's dad part two, except in this situation, you're the goldigger." Cynthia let her fingers tap the table lazily, her leg shaking rapidly back and forth.

"He's a very nice man, and I would love for you to meet him, Cyn. He has done a lot for me, and he encouraged me to come back into your life." The older woman explained, not making the situation any better in any way.

"So, you're telling me you only came back because your boyfriend told you." The Sari girl accused plainly, as the waitress came to the table.

"Honey, that's not—"

"Can I take your order?" She asked, taking out her writing pad and a pen.

"That's not what I was saying at all, he just encouraged me toward it all." Penelope was grasping for straws at this point, knowing that anything she said would come out wrong. "There wasn't a day I didn't think about you."