chapter forty three.

Take me to church — Hozier

  CYNTHIA YAWNED AS SHE GOT UP FROM THE couch, realizing the smell of fresh breakfast her dad usually cooked hadn't filled the air. She scrunched her brows, then shrugged figuring he had spent the night at Miguel's with Carmen. Pushing herself up, she rubbed her eyes slightly, dreadfully preparing for the day.

As usual, she went straight for the bathroom but stopped in her tracks as she seen her father, looking stressed over a thick stack of papers.

"What is that?" She questioned, startling the man who hadn't heard her.

"Uh—... papers." Simon sighed and pointed at the chair across from him at the counter. "You're going to have to take a seat for this one."

Hesitantly, Cynthia took a seat across from her father and interlaced her own fingers together, letting them rest comfortably on the countertop.

"I don't really know how to explain this to you but so, i'm just going to come right out and say it. Your mother just served me with some papers..." Simon trailed off, tears starting to fill his eyes.

"What do you mean papers? Aren't the two of you divorced already—" now it was Cynthia's turn, finally realizing what kind of papers he meant.

"She is trying to get custody of you, and with her living conditions, and the money they have... I don't want to say it but, she might win." A single tear rolled down the Sari mans cheek and he inhaled, knowing that crying in front of his daughter who had already been through so much wouldn't help.

"No." The young girl replied, shaking her head with tears pouring down her face. She might have looked sad but, she was seeing red, and not in a good way. "She doesn't get to do that. You both left but when you came back you didn't try to take me from Bianca, or change my entire life."

"I know Cyn but—"

"There is nothing to defend her with Dad. She's not a good person, and it was time we both accepted that. I'm going to go talk to her, and that's gonna be the end of this. If i'm lucky I can get her little boy toy to leave town too." Cynthia said as she pushed herself up from her chair and stood up.

"You know, you sound a lot like your aunt right now." Simon spoke through a slight smile.

"Good, Bianca's the best."

  THEO WOULD HAVE GLADLY RATHER BEEN CUDDLED up to his girlfriend on the couch, or on some sappy date she picked out rather than a kids birthday party. However, it was hard for him to reject anything Sam wanted to do because all he wanted was to be there for her. It was an odd feeling, one he had only felt once before but had since gone away.

For the most part.

"Does that mermaid look familiar to you?" The Antonetti boy asked Amanda, as he heard his girlfriend who was on the other side of him laugh.