chapter forty two.

One step at a time — Jordin Sparks

  KARATE SEEMED TO BLEND FAMILIES PRETTY well because Larusso's had invited Cynthia's family, Miguel's family, Johnny, and Theo over for dinner. The teens all prayed that this would be a cordial dinner, where nobody fought and things went smoothly. However, peace never seemed to be in the cards for them.

"So, how's business?" Carmen questioned to lighten the slightly tense air.

"The business is the best it's been in years, especially thanks to Simon here taking the reigns a bit. He's been fitting right in." Daniel answered, reaching over to pat Simon lightly on the shoulder. "The place should practically be on autopilot by the time Sam takes over."

Cynthia was ecstatic her father had taken a job and didn't let his pride get in the way.

"Happy to help." The Sari man said with a slight smile and humble nod.

"You're gonna take over the dealership?" Miguel asked with a smile from across the table, taking Cynthia's hand into his as he did. "That's awesome."

"Nah, nah, nah, it's just an inside joke. When Sam was little, she used to walk around like she owned the place." Daniel explained with a smile.

"I remember the days I used to walk around dads place, it was so fun seeing all the cars and watching the people so happy about buying them." The Sari girl smiled lightly, looking down towards her plate.

It was a bittersweet feeling for Simon working in the auto industry again, he wanted nothing more than to have his business back but, he knew he was barely standing on two feet.

"I totally get that, I used to love it too." Sam smiled brightly at her friend, giving her a reassuring nod. "But I don't think that i'd be happy running the business."

"She can do what she wants. If she decides to go to school nearby, get her MBA.  USC, UCLA, i'm just saying... it's all icing on the cake..." Daniel spoke, the Larusso girl practically slumping in her chair.

"So..." Amanda said aloud to change the subject. "Theo, how's school going?"

"My grades are a lot better since getting back but uh..." he looked down in defeat, feeling absolutely terrible about himself. "I don't think i'll get accepted anywhere, and even if I did, i'm not good enough to get a scholarship."

The table went absolutely silent for a moment, everyone looking awkwardly at each other.

"Tuition is just so expensive." Carmen said as she clicked her tongue. "Miguel is thinking Stanford but it's so much, we also wanted to check on Santa Monica so he can save money and live at home."

As the conversation went on, Cynthia realized she didn't have much of a plan at all, and it scared her.

"Yeah."  Theo laughed and nodded awkwardly. "Maybe I can do something like that."