6

Knowledge will give you power, but character will give you respect.

London, England ~ Ava's POV

I packed a duffle bag which I hauled into the backseat of a dark blue Ferrari. I got into the driver's seat and headed for my father's airport. The White International Airport, globally known as the WIA.

"Where's Clifford?" I asked.

Clifford was the jet's pilot. He used to work as a sniper assassin, but had pulled out to be our personal chauffeur or pilot when we needed him. Leroy functioned as his co-pilot when necessary.

"He's in the cockpit, ready when you are." Leroy replied, subtly running his eyes over me. They lingered at certain places longer which made me feel something I had no business feeling.

I didn't allow my mind to wander. He was my bodyguard. He was just doing his job; to keep his attention on me at all times. Without a word I walked past him and ascended the stairs, entering the luxurious jet. Its interior was mostly gold themed with a little of black and red here and there.

Gold was the symbol of the highest ranking mafia, silver was the second's, wine for the third, and champagne for the fourth. If a mafia didn't make it to the top four, it was deemed irrelevant.

Every year on the 31st of December, a masquerade ball was hosted for the mafia. This was where both allies and enemies were made, as well as how the top four mafias were picked according to achievements. The criminal kind.

The Spanish mafia was ranked second. Personally, I didn't believe it deserved that rank. It belonged to the Italian mafia that had ranked third instead. The Italian mafia was more family than an ally to us.

The Italian Donna was my father's little sister, and therefore my aunt. If she had been made Queen over my father, her marriage to the Don would have merged the English and Italian mafias.

I headed straight for the minibar for a glass of wine before settling in a seat next to a window. My eyes followed Leroy as he entered the cockpit, leaving me with the bartender who surely wouldn't leave her post for anything. I wasn't sure why, but I wished he had kept me company instead of taking up his role as the co-pilot.

Madrid, Spain ~ Ava's POV

The Shade's jet landed safely at the WIA in Madrid, and I quickly got off while Leroy exited the cockpit.

"Should I catch a taxi?" His eyes roamed the airport, checking to ensure that there weren't any threats.

"No. Eli took care of it."