31

You want a fight? I'll bring war!

Madrid, Spain ~ Leonardo's POV

After I left Ava's I returned to my study. Ivanov's children were alive. They had survived losing both their parents. That was not good. I turned my father's former study upside down searching for that one important document. When I failed to find it, I dialled my father's number. He didn't answer after three tries so I gave up.

Cami came into my study to inform me that Ava had requested her to gather information on the Ivanovs. I granted her the permission to tell Ava everything she knew. After she had left, I tried calling my mother and she answered on the second ring.

"Hijo?"

"Mamá, I need to speak with papá." She caught the seriousness in my tone and I heard her yell for him to come get the phone.

"¿Qué es Leonardo?" (What is it)

"Ellos están de vuelta." I replied, "Y no puedo encontrar el tratado." I added, running a hand through my hair. I was already exhausted, and I'd need to put the place back in order. (They are back. And I can't find the treaty)

"Estaré allí tan pronto como pueda." (I'll be there as soon as I can)

I had to see them for myself, which meant Ava had to agree to meet with them. The Shade had an aversion for Bratva that was lost on me. To get her to agree to attend the meeting, I'd have to give her a little push.

My outburst earlier had been a ruse. It set my plan into motion. I called Miguel for help. He was to inform Ellie about the misunderstanding I just had with Ava. Then he was to request that she spoke to Ava in my favour. Nothing hits my wife's nerve more than me demanding her submission. That would do the trick.

I was right. A few minutes after Miguel had called to let me know that Ellie had called her and spoken as planned, Ava barged into my study. She had changed clothes. I had to admit, she looked sexier in business than in casual.

"I've decided to take up Bratva's offer."

Okay. I did not expect to hear that, "To have an alliance with them?"

"As long as I'm breathing, no. I just need to meet them. Their words and actions will tell me everything I need to know about them."

"I'm coming with you."

"No."

"Why not?"

"I don't need any complications. You're not the Queen of the English mafia." She countered.

I smirked, "No, but I'm the Don of the English and Spanish mafia."

She gave me a prolonged hard stare, then let out an exasperated sigh when she finally realised that I wasn't going to let this go.

"Why won't you let me do this alone?"

"This isn't about you, sorry mi amor." I began, "I need to know my enemies, keep them close, don't you think?"

"But you're allies?" She responded.

"Yes, under Sokolov's leadership, not Ivanov's. Vladimir II never showed up himself to sign the treaty. Apparently, he was too aggrieved to do so. The treaty is most likely gone and if they have it, it could be used as a loophole to start funny business."

"What treaty?"

"Mi amor, I know Cami told you everything."

"Yeah, but only because you told her to." She smiled, "Her last words to me gave her away. I must say I admire her loyalty to you, but she'd be the last person in your gang that I'd think to connive with. I'll meet you downstairs." She concluded and then exited my study.