38

Never tell people what you're doing until it's done.

Moscow, Russia ~ 3rd Person's POV

"Oh, and um...Happy New Year." The doctor concluded then turned to exit the room.

He'd barely took a step when he fell down with a thud, a golden dagger stuck out from his back, where his heart should be.

Ava walked over to his body, pushed the dagger further into his back amidst his cries, and removed it only when she was certain he'd taken his last breath. Next time, he'd try harder to save her husband's life.

What was to say that the doctors did try to save him at all? There had been an order for his death after all.

She stared at the doctor's lifeless body for a while. A part of her heart felt like it'd been ripped out. Leo had died taking a bullet for her. He hadn't hesitated to take the risk, and he'd lost his life in the process. She had come to love and accept him, even though she was with him at first for the benefits. She now felt this emptiness deep within her.

Without thinking it through, she run in the direction the doctor had come from. Frederick followed after her, concerned and bereaved. He'd also lost his best friend.

Ellie caught Eli's gaze and they had a short silent conversation. He couldn't leave Cami alone, so she'd have to be there for Ava. With that, Ellie went after father and daughter.

Henry saw this and concluded that his sister would be fine, she'd get all the support needed. He took Isabella's hand and pulled her along in the direction Vladimir had taken.

Evelyn whispered something to Alessandro as she glanced occasionally at the duo on the floor with sympathy. There was a good chance that their relationship might never be the same again. The guy had killed the lady's father.

Evelyn and Alessandro later parted. The former was to join her brother to console their niece, and the latter was to find out what the Smirnov boy was up to with their daughter.

Ava run into Sasha who eyes were swollen red from crying so much. She'd almost forgotten that Nikita was dead too. In her state she could only mutter three words, "Where is he?"

Weakly, Sasha pointed in the direction of the infirmary.

"Ava!"

Frederick, Evelyn and Ellie had caught up with Ava who was at a standstill. She wasn't sure which exact door led to Leo.

"Find my husband," Was her cold reply to her family.

The three wasted no time in opening up the doors and peeping through. Ellie found the room with Nikita's death bed. She recalled the anxiety and tension as she'd waited alongside Miguel and Sasha for the doctor. The silence had been loud and deafening.

"He's in here." Evelyn announced on opening her third door.

Ava wasted no time running into the room. Ellie and Frederick made to follow after her, but Evelyn shut the door and stood in front of it.

"She needs a moment alone with him." Evelyn said to them, "She's strong, she'll be fine."

Locating Vladimir's study hadn't been like searching for a needle in a haystack after all. It was the only room at the end of a dark hallway lined with grim looking men in matching champagne suits.

"I thought just the Ivanovs were to be in champagne for the night." Isabella whispered to Henry.

They walked past the guards without any trouble, each wondered why the men hadn't bothered to stop them.