25

Power corrupts those who don't have it.

Madrid, Spain ~ Leonardo's POV

The Italian Don, Federico and I were in my father's office contemplating our next move. None of us had gotten any proper sleep since the news of my wife's disappearance.

The jet had been found, well, pieces of it. Henry had found Leroy, unfortunately, but there had still been no sign of Ava. Miguel even informed me that a guy had found Amaia's remains.

A part of me was beginning to think the situation was hopeless, that we'd never find her. We hadn't been able to get any information from Leroy because Henry had taken him straight to England for medical attention.

My thoughts were interrupted by a ringing phone. Federico answered the call then put it on speaker. It was Eli.

"You guys have to see this. Come over to Cami's workspace." He stated then ended the call.

We wasted no time. The four of us left my father's office for Cami's place. Miguel, Camilla, and the twins were huddled behind Camilla's laptop watching something. Their expressions revealed that whatever it was, it wasn't good. We rushed over to take a look.

My heart broke to hear an agonising scream escape Ava's lips. She was black and blue all over, meaning she'd been beating up mercilessly. She was bleeding profusely too.

My blood boiled at the sight. I wanted the woman's head served to me on a silver platter. She had touched what was mine, and she'd pay dearly for it.

"Federico?" The Italian Don called, and he turned to him, "Isn't that..." He trailed off.

"Beatrice." My father's statement caused me to turn to him in shock.

That woman was Ava's mother? Federico's ex-wife?

I glanced at the man in question to see him shell shocked. The woman he thought was long dead, was alive and torturing the hell out of their only daughter. His only child.

Unknown Location ~ Ava's POV

I inhaled deeply then exhaled, trying to keep from going insane. I wasn't going to lie about the fact that I wasn't in so much pain.

She'd come in here, scar me with Clifford taking a video, leave, return the next day, and then repeat. None of my wounds were completely healed, I had fresh blood flowing from different angles.

When Andrei was in the mood to train, which was almost every day, I was hung up from the ceiling by a chain to become his punching bag.

Today I had taking a dose of beatings, but this time, on camera. They figured it might bring Leonardo here faster. I hated to break it to them, but Leonardo probably didn't give a fuck about me anymore. Why would he after I cheated on him?

I looked up at the ceiling, thinking about how I'd get out of here on my own. Bitch had my gold dagger. It was what she had used to skin me yesterday. I hadn't been touched today by her, and I wondered whether it was a good thing or not.

She had cut my hair very short because it got in the way of her torture with its length. In addition, I was rarely fed. Andrei brought me cold soup in a can with a straw sticking out, only when he remembered.

"You would have thought Frederick or Leonardo would have rushed in here with an army by now, but nope. Still a no show." I heard her before I saw her.

She wasn't in heels today, no wonder I hadn't heard her approach. She tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear, then walked towards me. She wrapped a hand around my neck and squeezed, her sharp nails dug into my flesh.

I could feel them drawing blood as I coughed and wheezed for air. She let go before I could pass out. I was physically exhausted, but mentally and emotionally I was stable, much to her displeasure.

I heard the resounding crack in my jaw when her fist connected with it. I kept from screaming, the taste of my own blood invading my mouth. Her aim was to hear my screams for mercy, she wanted me to beg for my life, and I'd never. Over my fucking dead body.

She took out her frustration on me, punching, and kicking each side of my face. Her heel unexpectedly connected with my abdominal area, and I coughed out blood. I took in the pain and gritted my teeth to keep from making a sound.

"Your father trained you well." She commended, wiping the blood that had spluttered on her.

Of course. There was no room for weakness in our bloodline. My aunt, the Italian Donna also had a hand in my training. Torture sessions with her was worse than whatever Bea could bring to the table.

She brought out my dagger from behind her. She stood immobile for a while, staring off into space. I knew it was just a ruse to get me to let loose so she'd inflict unexpected pain and have me screaming. It had worked last time, but it wasn't going to this time.

She stabbed my shoulder with it and dragged it down my arm. I watched fresh blood coat the gold in red, unflinching. My lack of response seemed to anger her, because she quickly pulled it out and threw it in the corner. She left, returning with a plier and a peeler.

I shut my eyelids, gritted my teeth, and braced myself for the pain. I waited but it didn't come, and I slowly opened my eyes. She was on the phone, a permanent frown on her face as she listened to whoever was on the line. She cursed out in Russian then quickly left.

I shut my eyes again, relieved.

Madrid, Spain ~ 3rd Person's POV

The videos came in day after day, sent by the same restricted number that had warned Leo about the snipers. They all had the same routine, except one. Ava was hung up on the ceiling by chains. A man Federico had confirmed was Henry's father, beat her up black and blue.

No one had the time to consider why the number that had warned them about the snipers, was the same one being used to send them videos of Ava's torture. They needed to locate them, and fast.

Eli had forwarded the first video to Leroy, and he had rushed to Madrid with Henry. Both were furious and worried for Ava's health. It looked as if she was in severe pain, but was trying to down play it.

Emilio and Owen had been given the task of tracing the restricted number. Leonardo had already made it clear to their parents that since their one week was up, they'd be taking over. Also, when they did manage to find Ava, it'd be the Shade and la Rosa de Sangre going in to rescue her, not any of them.

Leroy had taken the first step to apologise to Leo about what had happened back on the island. He took responsibility for everything, saying he had forced himself on Ava. Leo could do nothing but to accept his apology, and they had come to a truce. They would put their differences aside and work together to find Ava.

Henry also wanted in on the action. He had finally found his motivation. He wanted his father to regret ever laying a hand on his sister. He had taken the risk of asking Frederick to personally train him all over again. Frederick had agreed, no questions asked. If he couldn't be there in person to rain hell on Bea, maybe training her own blood to do it would be a much sweeter revenge.

The Shade soon noticed the huge change in Henry. Frederick had turned him into a killing machine within three days. Ellie even concluded that Henry had it in him, but had held back so he wouldn't be chosen to rule over his sister.

He had quickly taking an interest in sniper rifles, and wanted a position as the sniper assassin in the Shade. However, he hated everything that had to do with torture. It just didn't sit well with him.

It took days but they did it. Emilio and Owen were able to trace the number to a safe house on the outskirts of Madrid. Leonardo tasked Kaitlyn and Elena to watch the house from the shadows, so they'd confirm whether or not it was actually Bea's hideout.

Henry had managed to convince Frederick to leave for England, so he wouldn't interfere in anyway with their plans. The Italian Don had returned to Italy, he trusted that everything would go as planned. Vittoria and Lorenzo had been tasked to screen the men in their mafia, and pick enough trusted ones to prepare for the imminent battle.

Losing was not an option. It was either they returned with the Princess, or not at all.