40

Thanks for the pain, it made me raise my game.

Moscow, Russia ~ Vladimir's POV

"Le- sorry, Vladimir." Eli corrected, "I was just about to go get something to eat."

He looked exhausted. His shoulders even had a sag in them. I hoped he and Cami figured things out quickly. She hadn't seemed appreciative of his comfort when I last saw them.

I didn't blame her though, but I wondered if her grief was over the fact that her own father had been a traitor, or that the man she loved had killed him. Last night's reveal about her mother's death must have been the last straw.

"Come on, I'll walk with you to the dining room." When we got there, I pressed a bell to summon Fyodor. I requested that he served us with breakfast, as I was starving myself.

I led Eli to a smaller table and we took a seat around it. Fyodor sent a maid with cottage cheese pancakes (syrniki) with berries, honey and sweet sour cream. I asked her to bring us coffee before she left.

"I know you want something Vladimir, what is it?" Eli questioned and a smile graced my lips.

I took a sip of coffee, taking my time to decide how to go about what I had in mind.

"What do you think about a merge between both our mafias?"

The look of disbelief on Eli's face was undeniable, "Isn't that too soon. The Spanish Don, your sister, and your right-hand just died."

"The successful operation of your mafia won't go on smoothly if left in the hands of a bereaved Doña alone."

"Ava is more than capable, and you know it." Eli replied, "Besides she has an entire inner gang to back her up."

"Do you understand how hot the Shade will be when it returns to Madrid? The Spanish mafia will want answers, considering the bloodline of their Don has been wiped out."

"And who's fault is that, Vladimir? Don't try to act like the good guy here. Sure, you were a victim of circumstance, but you're very much to blame as much as Emilio is, and Lorenzo for not taking Emilio out when he breached the treaty."

I realized Eli was venting at this point. He couldn't hold it in any longer.

"Look, I honestly have nothing against you. It's Emilio's actions that are costing me my relationship with his daughter. Right now, a merge is the last thing you should think about. Ava might hate you for trying to take advantage of her vulnerability. You only want the merge because you're afraid of losing her again. You want her in wedlock."

"The best thing to do is to let her know that you have faith and trust in her that she can lead her mafia on her own. Allow her to get over her grief. I know deep down she still loves and needs you, but she has to get used to who you've become now.

A cold-hearted Russian Boss. In any case, we don't need the Spanish mafia to think you killed Leo so you could take his place. Miguel needs to break the news about Emilio's treachery."

I listened to everything he said and concluded that his views were the best right now. If I persuaded Ava into marrying me under the guise of a needed merge and she ended up not loving me the way I would want, I'd have achieved nothing.

"Thank you." I stated and he finally cracked a smile.

"You're welcome." With that he pushed back on his chair, "Now, I need to get back to Camilla." He left with a plate of pancakes and a cup of coffee with milk.

Moscow, Russia ~ Ava's POV

The scent of gunpowder and coffee hit my nostrils when I gained consciousness. I turned over in the bed to assess the unfamiliar bedroom, wondering whose it was. My gaze fell on my clothes on the bed stand, and I quickly sat up straight. Only then did I realize that I was in a button up shirt. A quick whiff of the collar and I concluded that it was Vlad's.