19

Don't just set goals, hunt them.

Private Island, Philippines ~ Ava's POV

I sat behind my desk in the tastefully furnished study Leonardo had allocated me, trying to get through to either of the twins. Unfortunately, neither could be reached. They were probably busy.

I placed my elbows up on the desk, dropping my head in my opened palms as I reflected over what I did last night.

"Bloody hell!" I cursed out loud, as everything sank heavily into my consciousness.

I kissed him. I still wasn't sure why, but I fucking kissed him back. To top it all off, I had run away right after to lock myself up in my room like a child. I skipped dinner that night, which had annoyed Leila because in so doing I flouted one of the mansion's cherished rules.

I made a mental note to make it up to her when I was done actively avoiding my husband. I hadn't even had the heart to look Leroy in the eyes and it bothered me. Where was this weakness coming from?

During my short confinement, I opened up the hidden door again, curious to see where it led to. I walked through, and ended up in Leo's room to see a maid cleaning it up. I stood there for a while, observing her as she worked assiduously before retreating into my room and closing up the door. I didn't think I'd be using it again anytime soon.

A light knock on the door pulled me out of my reverie, and I lifted my head up. I closed my laptop halfway before mouthing a 'come in'. Leila entered holding an intricately designed pot of fresh white roses.

"Buenas tardes, Señora." She greeted, and I got up to take the pot from her. (Good afternoon, Ma'am)

"Oh no-no-no-no. I got this. Leonardo requests your presence at lunch. I suggest you hurry back to your room to change into something more befitting." She advised, placing the pot on the black glass coffee table positioned in the middle of the study, and surrounded by plush grey armchairs.

I got out of my room in a back, backless, fitting dress with spaghetti straps and heels. I entered the dining hall to see Leonardo standing beside a smaller table, dressed in a midnight blue Armani suit. His hair was well combed, a far cry from his usually messy hair. It made him look almost gentlemanly.

I avoided eye contact with him as I approached the table. I went into shock when he pulled the chair for me to sit. He had never done that before; it was Leroy who always did. I kept mute, deciding not to comment on it for fear that he'd switch back to himself.

Leila appeared as usual with a team of maids. I recognised the one holding the tray of wine as the one who was tidying up Leo's room last night. The already filled glasses on the tray raised red flags in my mind. From my experience, you should never drink from a glass that was filled in your absence.

I carefully extended my leg halfway. She didn't notice it on time and tripped over it, causing everything on her tray to come down in pieces. I took the blame for it, and made a show of giving her the rest of the day off which she tried but failed to refuse.

A different maid rushed in to clean everything up while the other arranged the plates and cutlery for Leila to serve as with the carne guisada. She later hurried off to get us fresh glasses and another bottle of white wine. Leonardo waved her off after, filling the glasses himself.

"I thought we weren't supposed to be served until everyone was at the table." My eyes traced the smooth flow of the wine into the glasses.

"Luis won't be joining us, I requested that it'd be just you and I for this afternoon." He replied.