23

I never lie because I don't fear anyone, you only lie when you're afraid.

Private Island, Philippines ~ Leonardo's POV

A light knock on the door to my study drew my attention. Leila strolled in holding a large rectangular package.

"You sure you've inspected that thing for a bomb?" I joked, turning back to the screen of the new MacBook I had ordered for.

Miguel and Ellie had succeeded in dealing with the disappearances. I had requested that they send me a full report on everything, but their reply was still pending. They hadn't answered my calls or texts in days. I tried not to worry, agreeing with Ava when she suggested that they might be busy.

"Very funny." She replied dryly, "It's the painting you ordered for, should I hang it with the rest?" She asked, unwrapping it slightly for me to have a peek.

It was a gold framed painting of the waterfall, Ava staring mesmerised at it, my arm around her waist and kissing her on the cheek from behind. Leila had taken the perfect photograph and it had been transformed into an amazing painting.

"Leave it here." I gestured with my pen at a spot on my desk, "I'll surprise her tonight with it, and then we'll hang it up together." I added.

Leila smiled, did as I had asked then quietly left, but not before reminding me that lunch would be ready soon. I glanced at the package with a smile on my lips. The painting would be the first of its kind up on those walls.

Private Island, Philippines ~ Ava's POV

The tray of freshly baked biscuits and steaming hot tea balanced on one hand as the other dialled Ellie's number for the tenth time today. I paused on the stairs for a brief moment, deciding to dial Eli's instead. He also didn't pick up and I gave up after the fifth ring.

Where the hell were they, and what the fuck were they up to?

I pocketed the phone and continued up the stairs to my room. I used my elbow to try to turn the knob. When that didn't work, I balanced the tray on one hand again, then opened the door.

"What are you doing here?" I enquired when I walked in to see Leroy on my bed, admiring a beautiful bouquet of white roses.

I found out from Leila that Leonardo ordered for a fresh batch of the roses for me every day. I honestly didn't know what to think of it. I knew white roses represented purity, youthfulness and innocence, and I sure as hell wasn't any of those. What Leonardo was insinuating with them was lost on me.

"What? I'm not allowed in your room anymore?" He questioned, dropped the bouquet, and got up to take the tray from me.

"You are, it's just that it's been a while since you've been in here." I replied, pouring a cup of tea for myself.

He picked up a biscuit and placed it whole in his mouth.

"Yeah about that, I figured I was wasting my time whenever I came up here to meet an empty room. That reminds me, I still don't know where your study is."

"It's the one after Leo's." I answered, my gaze fixated on the contents of my cup, amidst his heated stare.

I just couldn't look him in the eyes for some reason. I was feeling guilty of something I wasn't supposed to even feel guilty about. I was married to Leo now, whatever was between Leroy and I shouldn't matter anymore. Whether or not I still had feelings for him.

Shit! It just dawned on me that I might have feelings for both men.

"You've fallen in love with him, haven't you?" Leroy's sudden question caught me off guard.