27

Death is the price you pay for love.

London, England ~ Ava's POV

The cold air bit at my exposed skin, causing me to shiver involuntarily and wrap the black fur coat tighter around me. A lot had gone down in a spun of six months, I had forgotten that the day of my birth had been around the corner. Today was that day, the first of December. Thirty days away from the annual masquerade ball.

I had woken up on Leonardo's bed in the De Los Santos Villa days ago to receive the news that Leroy had not made it out. His body, along with Bea's, Clifford's, Andrei's and many others had been found mangled and almost unrecognizable. Leroy's death required that we returned to London for his burial.

*Flashback*

I woke up to find my father at my bedside. In his hand was a three layered red velvet cake decorated with white roses. Everyone else stood surrounding us with forced smiles. I climbed out of bed, and forced a smile of my own.

My father asked me to make a wish, and I knew what I wanted was the one thing he couldn't grant. No one had the power to give life to a dead person.

"Ava are you alright?" I'd zoned out unknowingly, and was brought back to earth when Ellie waved a hand in my face.

"I'm fine." I lied.

"We're waiting, amor." Leo reminded, gesturing at the cake.

The words I spoke sounded strained and were barely above a whisper, "I want Leroy."

I felt it all. The tears fighting to escape, my body on the verge of breaking down? Why? Why Leroy? Why not me?

"I'm sorry fireball, but that's impossible and you know it." My father replied softly.

A thumb brushed my lower lashes, removing a hanging tear. Crying over a fallen mafia member was prohibited if his death hadn't been in vain.

"If it'll make you feel better, we can have the burial done today." Leo stated soothingly.

I nodded. Maybe that was just what I needed to get over his death. Closure. Watching his lifeless mangled body get placed in a coffin, and lowered six feet under in a cemetery might just do it.

"Okay then. We'll have Leroy's burial done tonight after I introduce both you and Leonardo as the Don and Doña of the English mafia." My father informed as he set the cake down on my lap.

"Then tomorrow we'll return to Madrid to do same with the Spanish mafia." Mr. De Los Santos chipped in.

"When exactly is the inauguration?" I asked, slicing a piece of the cake for myself.

"Considering it's almost noon, maybe a couple of hours after lunch. We'll order for a gathering of the entire English mafia to pledge their loyalty to you both. The Shade will also have to bind blood with you." Henry replied.

Ellie had informed me that he had joined the Shade. Just like our mother, he had taken to sniper assassination.

"After tomorrow, the Shade ceases to exist. We become la Rosa de Sangre." Miguel said.

*Flashback Over*

No more Shade. In a few hours both mafias would officially be merged, and the inner gang becomes la Rosa de Sangre.

Leonardo had been keeping an eye on me the entire service, probably expecting my heart to stop functioning. I hadn't stopped to think about how he must have felt when I had asked for Leroy. Even now I still wasn't sure who I preferred. It didn't matter anymore; Leroy's death had made the choice for me.