~CHAPTER 25~

"Sleeping is so hard
When you can't stop thinking"
-Unknown

                              ____________________________________

Song Name: Don't give me hope

Artist(s): SEA, NU

I gasped when I saw them

More like her. My step-grandma.

Wait... is that what they are called? Or is it something else? Grandma-step—

I am going out of track.

The woman beside me was the same regular customer that I always see in the bakery back when I use to regularly go there to help my mum. I called her –

"LEXI!" I shouted, hugging her tightly as she hugged me back, her fiery red hair, coming to my face like a slap though I did not mind it. You see, another thing is that Lexi – or Alexa as her real name though I will call her Grandma Lexi from now on – has fiery red hair like me. The only difference is that she looks prettier in them than I ever d–

Don't go there, Ari. You won't be able to stop.

"How are you darl?" She asked as she let go of the warm embrace making me miss it. I looked at her and smiled then said the same sentence that I always use: "I am fine Grandma Lexi." She smiled wider at the name and then looked at her husband. "This is my husband, Vincenzo," she introduced, and I nodded then looked at him. He looked pretty scary with a cold look and a buff, muscular body. He didn't look a day older than 50. "Come with me Ariana," he said, nodding his head towards the garden as I compiled. In the corner of my eyes, I saw my brother glance at me in sympathy. As soon as we reached the garden, he looked at me.

"Just because Zoe married my son, doesn't mean anything. You are not blood, therefore, and not family and my granddaughter," he said in his cold voice, making me a bit scared but mostly angry. How dare he say my mom's name with so much venom.

"With all due respect sir, do not call my mother in that tone in front of me or at all. Secondly, just because I may not be your blood, doesn't mean that I am not family. Family is not about blood but loyalty, trust, and the love you give which my brothers and father give so they are my family. They might say that blood is thicker than water but remember this one thing, you can drown in both," I said in an emotionless yet cold voice but to my surprise, he just smiled but it was barely visible. Grandma Lexi came to me smiling and said, "Congrats honey, you passed the test." I just got more confused and looked around to see my mom, dad, and brothers looking at me with pride. I turned around and saw my grandfather, Vincenzo, staring at me.

Why do new grandfathers always do this?

"Sorry for saying those words but I just wanted to see how you would react. I am surprised with those wise words though Ariana, I must say," he said softly making me grin at him as he smiled back. I heard screaming which made me flinch, but no one noticed.