Two of the Same Kind | ZenNezu

Requested by: Akemi_Tamioka

...

"Zenitsu! Get yourself under control!"

The growl rang throughout the quiet forest, birds scattering as the sound carried through their ears. A harsh hand gripped his frail shoulder, and Zenitsu whimpered from the brutal strength. The grip on his shoulder bruised him more than his skinned knees against hard concrete, and he blinked blearily to focus on the gray pavement.

The tears slid down, one by one, why couldn't he soothe the hunger in his heart?

Zenitsu, snap out of it!

He got up with trembling legs, his head and feet swaying as his vision zoned into one thing, the single cut trickling down Jigoro's arm. He squeezed his eyes shut, biting his lip, hoping the pain would distract him from the sweet, red liquid. 

He could faintly hear Jigoro telling him to focus, telling him to get his act together as he picked up his sword with trembling legs. 

The blade was long, so sharp, and his heart raced as his fingertips slid over the cold, gray metal.

Jigoro sighed, somewhere beyond.

Jigoro tells him, he's a special demon, that he'll become something amazing, someday.

But really, what was so special about him?

He remembers a sword being pressed against his neck. His eyes widened and his pupils dilated into slits. The man looked at him with an astonished gaze, but the hand on the sword never faltered, never loosened.

"It can't be possible. How can a demon walk in sunlight?"

And Zenitsu remembers, through panic and sheer exhaustion, that that was the day Jigoro took him under his wing. 

His hair faded back to its usual dull black, and the marks on his face faded. 

He looked like an unrecognizable human. 

But he wasn't.

Jigoro's astonished gaze returned as he watched the... shift, his jaw dropping to the floor.

Jigoro coughed into his elbow, before grabbing Zenitsu by the shoulder, and with a somewhat gentle smile, he said, "Come on, let's get you settled into your new home."

And there, he met Kaigaku, who easily towered over him, like a building over a wispy tree. Zenitsu gulped as the raven crossed his arms, giving him a less-than-friendly grimace. Home, this would be his new home.