Remembrance | SaneKana

Thank you all for 3.4K reads!

Requested by: BestShipperrrrrr

• • • • •

Sanemi wasn't the type for affection and love. He always thought he would grow as the single, strong warrior he wanted to be, completely discarding any means of a love life. But that all changed when he met a certain someone. 

Her name was Kanae Kochou, and she was one of the pillars that worked alongside Sanemi. And although their conversations didn't go very deep, Sanemi always found himself looking forward to pillar meetings because of her. His heart felt in a strange way he hadn't felt in years.

She was so delicate, but so strong at the same time. She was the first of the pillars to try to get along with Sanemi. And she was so understanding and patient.

He remembers one of their few interactions. He was incredibly wounded, but hadn't felt the need to get treated immediately.

• • • • •

"Shinazugawa-san!" she yelled across the yard, while jogging over to him. "My my, you shouldn't fight so recklessly with those injuries!" 

His arms and body was covered in multiple new scars, including two that crossed paths on his chest. He also had a large gash on his leg. Some of the blood hadn't dried yet, and continued to stream down his arms and soak his uniform. 

"I'm fine," he grunted, while attempting to leave. He was quickly stopped by Kanae, who had latched onto his arm. He flushed. "Those are more serious than you think. You should get them treated, as a pillar should always be able to fight at their strongest!"

His heart fluttered as she lead him in through the door, she brought out some medical supplies while making him take a seat. His eyes drifted to her hair, imagining how silky and smooth they could be. Her lips, how soft and kissable they were, and her body, so graceful, yet so stubborn.

"Shinazugawa-san?"

Sanemi jumped. Kanae was waving her free hand in front of his face, her other carried medical supplies.

"Oh- sorry," he said while turning his head away. Kanae nodded, and began to wipe blood off his body, while moving his haori aside. She quickly patched up his wounds, as he sat there, dumbfounded. He never thought he would feel such a way, especially for someone who was his complete opposite.

"All done!" Kanae exclaimed with a smile. "I can wash your haori free of blood for you, and you can come tomorrow to pick it up, what do you say?"

"Oh- uh, no thanks, I'll just take it," he quickly said while getting up. "Don't wanna cause you anymore trouble,"

"Hm? If you say so!" she smiled. "Would you like me to escort you out?"

His mouth moved faster than his mind. "Sure," he accidentally blurted out.

Kanae was already up and dragging him out.

As they walked through the halls of the estate, Sanemi couldn't stop his gaze from lingering on Kanae. He slowly reached for her hair. It was smooth, and as silky as he imagined. Kanae looked at him with a confused look. 

Sanemi realized his fingers were combing her hair. Sanemi immediately extracted his hand. 

"Uh- sorry about that, I just wanted to-" he started, "no, I-" He grumbled and buried his face in his hands. "Just- forget it"

Sanemi could've sworn she was blushing. She fiddled with her hair and smiled while nodding. They kept silent until they reached the exit. Sanemi immediately rushed out, Kanae waving behind him.

• • • • •

Those were the good ol' days. 

Memories of him and Kanae. The amount of care she put into him every day they spent together. The memories were overwhelming. 

Sanemi fell to the ground, fisting his hair. Tears filled his eyes, and they dropped onto the ground. He wiped them as soon as they came. Kanae wouldn't want him to be upset. Especially not today.

So for her sake, Sanemi slowly rised, picking up the purple flowers he had dropped. Setting them in front on the ground, he forced himself to smile, despite the tears soaking his face. For Kanae, he reminded himself.

He reached for the stone, with the words Sanemi never wished to read.

He sobbed silently, as a similar girl with the same haori as Kanae reached for his shoulder. He knew she was hurt too. But surely Kanae was happy now. He had to be happy for her too. He'll be there someday. But now, he had to enjoy today while it lasted.

It was Kanae's 22nd birthday.

• • • • •

I actually don't know when Kanae's birthday is-

I almost cried while writing this- I love Kanae and she deserved better! 

If you couldn't tell, the girl next to Sanemi is Shinobu.

I hope you enjoyed!