Stars | DouKoku

One of the requests I got during my hiatus. I fucking love this ship, it's so underrated <3

Requested by: day2day_fanfics (AO3)

......

Kokushibou sat down with his legs crossed on the wet grass. He had nothing to do. He felt... lonely.

Loneliness was a strange feeling to Kokushibou. He was used to being alone. He felt pride when he was alone because it proved his independence and individual strength. But he didn't want to be alone.

He thought of his brother. Yoriichi. If only he hadn't gave in to his selfish desires... then just maybe... maybe he could rest with ease upon his shoulders. 

He remembers when Yoriichi died. And the discovery of the old flute inside. It made him feel terrible. Recklessly abandoning Yoriichi and completely discarding him from his own life. Yet Yoriichi still hung on.

His thoughts stopped to a halt when interrupted by a voice.

"Ah, Kokushibou-dono! What a surprise seeing you here!"

He looked up to see a blond man with rainbow eyes at his side, with his hands clasped. The blond took a seat beside Kokushibou, and propped his head on his hands.

"So, what are you doing here? Are you perhaps meditating? Or did you happen to stumble upon this area?" Douma asked. "It's quite breathtaking, isn't it?"

Kokushibou agreed. It was a gorgeous patch of lush flowers and trees, and an old fountain settled in the middle. The cherry blossoms swayed. 

Kokushibou stayed silent as he simply stared ahead.

Douma didn't comment. He simply searched for what Kokushibou was so focused on. The fountain. It was rusted and chipped off at some sides. The water was barely dripping from the top.

The moonlight shone above them.

Kokushibou enjoyed the blond's company. It kept him from drifting too far into his own thoughts. He watched the blond's locks sway in the wind. Douma closed his eyes as he relaxed. 

"The moon is beautiful tonight, isn't it, Kokushibou-dono?"

Kokushibou nodded. That phrase calmed him. He knew what it meant. He felt the same. However...

Kokushibou had to remind himself at times like these not to form close relationships with others. It would get in the way of his work. His purpose. He wouldn't mess up this time. He couldn't.

Seeing Kokushibou stay silent, Douma spoke again. "Look at those stars."

Kokushibou looked up. Small glints in the sky stared down at him.

"It's not always that you get to experience such a beauty." Douma smiled. "When I was human, I loved stars. They were so beautiful and stood out in the dark."

Douma was like a star. The flecks of light in his world of darkness.

For that, Kokushibou liked stars. It made him feel at ease.

Douma's hand reached out. Just before it could it could set on Kokushibou's, it retracted and instead settled next to it.

Their fingertips were touching, Kokushibou noticed. Douma was also closer to him.

A world without Douma wasn't worth living, Kokushibou thought. Kokushibou loved everything about Douma. His contrast personality. His sense. His loyalty. Everything.

Kokushibou didn't move. He simply enjoyed the moment. They were barely touching, but they were close enough. 

For now, that would have to do.