Book Buddy

"Are you going out?"

"Mhm. To the library. I should be back before night falls."

"Okie then! Have a nice day!"

Walking down the hill and into the town with a book holding close to his chest, Mark strolls down the street of Kuyamba. The sun is warm against his skin, shining down between a few bits of pure white clouds. The morning is calm.

Opening the door to the library as the bell rings through the air, Mark steps in before gently placing his book on the counter.

"Have finished it already, I see." Smiling gently and taking the book from the counter to put it away, a white-haired boy shares a nod with Mark, who returns the smile respectfully. "Yes, it was very enjoyable. Thank you so very much for the recommendation, Nathan."

"Not a problem, Mark. Come to me again if you need anything." Placing the book onto a tray on the side with many others, Nathan lets out a thoughtful hum before turning back to smile at Mark. "Oh, by the way, I hadn't seen your caretaker in a bit. Is he doing alright?"

"Oh, Terrence had a work trip outside of town recently. We don't know when he'd be back, though." Doesn't feel like correcting the other that Vincent is the ultimate person behind their caretaking because the introduction will be mostly unnecessary, Mark answers gently.

"Ah, I see then. I wish him the best of luck."

"Same here." Nodding lightly before excusing himself to go search for another book, Mark graces his hands across the bookshelves, eyeing all the tags before finally pausing as he walks past one specific book that catches his attention more than anything.

The continuation of a series he had finished just a bit before with a cliffhanger on the ending.

Looking up and trying to get the book, signing as he lightly goes onto his tippy toes, Mark brings his hands back to himself as a pout ever so lightly raises onto his cheeks. For once, he kind of missed Frederick. Not the taunting that comes afterwards, but at least in moments like this, he has someone to help grab the book-

"You want this?"

Blinking in surprise and staring up at a boy with soft yet shining purple eyes, Mark lets a light smile onto his face as he takes the book from the boy and holds it close. "Yes, thank you very much, dear."

"Hello, Mark."

"It's nice seeing you again as well, James."

Looking over at the blankets on the ground, making a rather comfortable place to sit, James looks back at Mark silently before walking over silently yet happily as Mark follows behind in light amusement.

He met this 'child' a while back, when he first visited this library by himself, once he was old enough to be coming here without the company of Terrence, mostly since Vincent and Tyron really couldn't stand quietness and reading in silence.

This 'kid' is different from the ones he has at home. He is quiet. Really quiet. In a nice way, though. Quiet yet nice. In a way, that is endearing and kind of adorable, if Mark is being honest.

Sitting down beside James and opening his book to read, Mark pauses before he begins and smiles over at James with a light head tilt. "Are you not going to read anything this time, dear?"

Opening his mouth to talk before pausing lightly, James lightly averts his eyes, murmuring his answer even more quiet than he was.

"Can you... read to me again?"

Humming lightly in surprise, Mark's expression softens as he nods and gently pats James on the head, running his finger down to the end of the other's hair. "Why, of course, Hun."

Seeing the light, ever so subtle smile appears on James' face before quickly making himself comfortable beside him, Mark bites down a small chuckle before clearing his throat and quietly yet clearly reads out the book.

Mark's reading has emotions to it and varies depending on which character is talking. It is awfully addicting to listen to. Soothing as well.

James always loved Mark's voice. Another reason for him to keep on asking the other to read to him instead of reading anything himself.

The soothing voice does have a side effect, though. And James is feeling it head-on as his head nods drowsily to the rhythm of the other's reading. Taking his head out of the book and smiling gently at James, Mark lightly pats James on the head before guiding his head down to his shoulder with a gentle whisper. "Want to take a nap as I read, Hun?"

"Yes, please...." Feeling his eyes closing as Mark quietly goes back to reading and mumbling gently, James lightly rubs a hand around the smaller boy as he turns his head to nuzzle it into where the shoulder and neck meet.

Not having much of a reaction besides the subtle warmth spreading beside the tip of his ears, Mark stopped reading out loud once James had fallen asleep. Lightly bringing the boy's head down to his lap and laying him down as comfortable as possible, Mark gently runs a hand through the blue hair boy's hair before going back to his book, this time reading silently though not before murmuring a gentle sentence to the sleeping James under his breath.

"Sleep well, dear. I'll be here when you wake up."

Watching as he puts the book away on the shelf, Nathan lets out a fond sigh before shaking his head in amusement. Looking out the window as two girls, black hair and brunette, walk past the library hand in hand. Nathan can only murmur to himself as he places Mark's book back into the romance part of the shelf.

"Young love sure is something, huh?"