XVII. REGULAR

Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

SOMETHING I find highly attractive when it comes to men, scratch that -- ANYONE in general, is their music taste.

Zavier handed me his phone which was already unlocked and on Spotify. He didn't say anything, just stared expectantly. Rather than searching for a song, I used this opportunity to stalk his playlists.

He only had 3, each was named a random punctuation mark. There was one in particular that grabbed my interest, named "@" with a picture that looked like Zavier's arm with a diamond watch and silver band rings.

That's kinda h-

No, Kaiyo. Just no.

The playlist had slower songs, Giveon, Daniel Caesar, The Weeknd, and Bryson Tiller, some of my favorite artists to be honest. Pressing play, "I Was Never There" by The Weeknd started playing. It didn't really fit the gloomy vibe but it was a nice song -- a bit sexual causing weird tension, but it was nice.

The playlist was calming, enough to cause me to fall back asleep. I know I was dreaming, I have this weird thing where I can tell when it's a dream. It's like certain thoughts yelling at me in from distance, "You're dreaming." The strangest part is I can never put those thoughts into use unless I'm really fucking off-put by the dream.

For example, if it's a good dream -- or mediocre -- I can recognize it's a dream but never act on that knowledge, I just continue through the dream as if I never heard my own thoughts. Although sometimes, when the dream generally terrifies me, I can make myself wake up from it. Again, it's like a thought but distant. Sometimes it is more like a feeling, something springs into my heart reminding me that I can avoid this, and boom, I wake up.

I've had dreams I can't even describe, ones that genuinely fill me with a need to escape, not quite yet a nightmare as it's never scary -- just off-putting and uncomfortable.

If I'm lucky, I'm also able to wake up and continue the dream the next day or fall back asleep- and pick up right where I left off.

This was one of those instances -- where the dream wasn't exactly terrifying but strange enough to make me just... nervous. Shaking uncomfortable, my eyes blinked open suddenly, and that hidden consciousness that felt distant during the dream came into full effect.

I had certainly fallen asleep, slouched against Zavier's shoulder. I was going to projectile vomit and pull away, but Zavier had in turn fallen asleep as well, chin resting on my head.

Tensing up, I went completing still. I didn't want to move and wake him up, but I also didn't want him touching me.

But then I had a better idea.

Music was still playing from his phone, so picking it up off his lap, I held the iPhone up to his face. Unlocked. Thank you for face recognization, Apple, my love.