Oliver (21) Part 2

Oliver POV

Cassy came into the kitchen area sooner then later and dragged Mia away some place to eat with her. I guess that was okay, since Mia's mom was giving me a cold glare, which made me mad.

But now all the dinner is finished, all the teams are making their way to the side of the forest. There's shouting and a buzz in there air as teams are forming. I'm looking through the crowd and Zeke's team passes me with whoops and cheers and Lucas looks a little annoyed by the excitement. I chuckle.

To me right I finally see my team, Zach and Trent looking like the working on team tactics. Cassy, Becca and Kelsey stretching, ready to run. But I notice Mia isn't here yet, I get slightly panicked.

That's before I turn around and I see Mia making her way towards me. But her eyes seemed fixated on Zeke, talking to the guys in his team in a huddle. I walk up to her, shoving through some of the crowd before I am standing in front of her and she doesn't even realize I am there until I put a hand on her shoulder and she jumps.

"Mia, we're waiting for you" I say softy and she nods, forcing a smile on her lips. Before we walk together to the group. Everyone turns to us as we approach and it's now or never. Its seems everyone is looking at Mia a little differently from yesterday. And I think Mia senses it to.

"I hope you've been studying." Trent speaks in a tease, breaking the awkward silence and Mia smiles.

"All night." She jokes and the tension in the air snaps. Before anymore can be said , my father and Eric, the leader of protection and guards for the pack gets up on a small wooden platform in front of the crowd, everyone goes silent.

My father speaks up first." I am glad to see so many here tonight for the Annual Scavenger hunt for this year." He pauses" I see some new faces and some familiar ones, the goal is simple. Follow the clues, and make it back here with the last item that the clues will lead you to... Now Eric will explain the rules for tonight."

There are some whoops and groans of wanting to start soon." Quiet, Quiet." Eric bellows out. He's in his mid thirties, young for a leader but his dad, the last leader of pack protection died about 5 years ago form a attack on the pack by a small band of hunters. "As you know, Rule number 1. No shifting. This scavenger hunt was designed decades ago to test a wolfs ability in human form, when we can not shift it front of humans."

" Rule number 2, NO foul play. Sabotaging or violence on another team is banned and you will be automatically disqualified. Rule number 3, no following or tagging other teams. Firstly there will sense you following them, secondly what are you going to learn if you cant do this for your self."

"Rule number 4, don't split up from your team..."Eric voice carries on into the blur of rules I have been hearing for every year and I look down to Mia beside me. Compared to everyone there eyes are on the stage area, but Mia's are on Zeke, watching him like hawk. I carefully move my hand over and slip my hand into hers, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Mia's head turns down to our hands and then back up at me. She sadly smiles up at me and I hope that no one notices our linked hands in the crowd of people around us. I find it nice to show a connection to Mia in public, even if no one is looking. I wonder if I will ever be able to hold her hand with people looking.

My hearing drifts back to Eric finishing his rule book speech." So the time has come, everyone listen up for the first clue." The whispers and chatter dissipate into the night and all you hear are the crickets buzzing and the wind blowing." A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."

Everyone disbands into their groups and either start to whisper or use the mind link connection between them so know one can hear. I then reluctantly let go of Mia's hand and turn to the gang behind me, there using the mind link to talk. I am about to join in when Mia taps me on the shoulder looking confused.