22. The only way

Iiris' PoV

The moment the car stopped next to me and the window was rolled down, the blood in my system froze. I was numb. I was afraid to move and no matter how hard Rilla tried to pull me towards her, my legs did not listen to me.

"Iiris?"

I was scared to turn my head even though the voice was familiar and finally something in me gave me the strength to look at the owner of the voice and as I saw who it was, I felt relieved.

"Sorry.. I didn't mean to scare you.. " Robyn looked at me a little worried and Joel was peeking from the driver's side.

"Gotta say you actually almost killed me.. " I took a deep breath and placed my free hand on my heart. It was beating like crazy but still a gentle chuckle escaped my lips.

"Aleksi called me that you're gonna be here alone so I decided to come and keep you company.. If you want, of course.." She looked at me and once Rilla realized who I was talking to, she also walked to me and greeted the Hokka family with a friendly bark.

"Yeah.. Sure.. Who knows who I ran into while walking here all alone, not knowing where that lunatic might be.." I was more than fine with hanging with Robyn. She seemed nice and friendly, but I also remembered what Aleksi told me and it made me a little sad. They were probably a cute couple but I also understand that sometimes your first love is the love of your life, and seeing how close and connected Joel and Robyn were, I could not really be mad at her.

"Great." Robyn smiled and turned to Joel and gave him some kind of signal to get out of the car. They both got out and Joel walked to the back of the car and opened the boot. He then took out the baby carriage while Robyn took Sophia from the backseat. It was so weird to see Joel doing any of those things because I always thought he would not be the guy who has kids, yet I was so wrong. He looked proud while doing all of that. The way he kissed Sophia goodbye, and then Robyn. He placed his hand on her belly and rubbed it a while before saying bye to me too, and sitting back in the black Audi.

"Girl seriously, I freaking almost died..." I did my best to get my heartbeats back to normal. Rilla was walking around my legs, wrapping the leash all around them so I bent down to undo the deadly trap she was putting me into.

"Sorry.. Again.. I really wasn't thinking at all.. I should have texted you or something.. " Robyn apologized and she really looked like she was sorry. I know she did not do that on purpose and probably wasn't even waiting to see me walking on the street.

"It's ok.. I'm just happy it was you and not someone I'm trying to avoid.." We started to walk back towards Aleksi's house. Also, I was really thankful to Aleksi that he asked Robyn to keep me company, I knew I would have gone crazy alone and now when I had someone around, I could focus on some other things than in Rauli and all the messages he has written me the past 24 hours.

"How are you holding up?" Robyn asked after we got back to Aleksi's and she started to undress Sophia. The little one was staring at me like some weirdo but I could understand that. I had only seen pictures of her but we have never met before. That made me smile and I knelt down on her level.

"Hi there... You have such amazing eyes... " I smiled at her. Her eyes were so big, bright and blue.

"She has daddy's eyes. " Robyn said and took off her jacket. I stood back up and kept on smiling to Sophia who now seemed to form a small smile to me too. I knew I wanted kids but with the current life I had it would be impossible. Especially with Rauli. If he was able to be abusive against me then who knows what he could do for a child. Even seeing an abuse would affect the child's mental health negatively.