Chapter Thirty-Five

I didn't have an entourage. No press waiting for me at the airport. Not a single person approached me to ask for a picture. I got recognized by the local ground staff and they asked for pictures but other than that, my come back was peaceful.

I was thankful for it. I knew that I should enjoy the tranquility while it lasts because the moment that the news about my return breaks out, it would be a roller coaster ride again. It wouldn't take the media long enough to sniff around. It wasn't like I was hiding that information. I just simply didn't announce it.

Apart from Dharma and Mama Ton, no one else knew that I was coming back. I had to tell Dharma because she would kill me if I didn't tell her. And Mama Ton, well, he would kill me, too. Pero dahil kailangan ko rin siya para ayusin ang unfinished business sa industry.

Mama moved out of the Ziegler house and bought a home under my name. That was why instead of going to my condo unit, I stayed there with her.

Seeing her after nearly two years made me tear up. She lost a bit of weight. Siguro ay dahil sa stress sa pag-aasikaso ng annulment.

I was so proud of her. I wanted to be with her when she confronted my father about the annulment but she said that she needed to do it on her own. Minabuyi na rin niyang makaalis siya nung wala pa ako para may matutuluyan na kami pagka-uwi ko.

Umuwi rin si Gio sa kanila matapos kamustahin si Mama. He had to go home to face his parents whom he didn't see for a long time because of me. Kahit na pwede siyang magbakasyon mag-isa sa Pilipinas para bisitahin ang pamilya, hindi niya ako iniwanan mag-isa sa New York. I will always be grateful to Gio.

He was there when I didn't have anyone. He helped me even when I didn't ask for it. Sobrang laki ng utang na loob ko sa kanya na hindi ko alam kung paano ako makakabawi.

It took me almost day to recover from the long ass flight. I deserved the rest because I knew I wouldn't be getting any because of my schedule. I had so many things to do and so many people to meet.

The next day, I spent quality time with my mother and caught up. I told her everything that happened in New York. In the afternoon, we met with her lawyer, too.

Annulment in the Philippines was a pain in the ass. They needed to make a strong case for it to be done. It didn't help that my father is powerful and has strong connections.

Dharma dropped by at night to say hello and catch up, kahit na dumalaw naman na siya sa akin ng ilang beses sa New York nung nandoon pa ako.

"Now that you're back... Babalik ka na ba sa showbiz?" tanong ni Dharma. Natanong niya na sa akin dati ito nung nasa New York kami pero katulad ng mga tanong tungkol sa hinaharap, palaging 'hindi ko alam' ang isinasagot ko.

Now that the past future was my present, I knew it was time to face the music.

"I found my new passion in the art of directing and I want to pursue it," I shared. "But I have to render the remainder of my contract, so I don't think I have a choice. It's a miracle that they didn't sue me for going on hiatus."

"Who would dare? You were their brightest star and ultimate cash cow," Dharma joked and laughed.

"Baliw," tawa ko rin at umirap. Alam ko naman na totoo 'yon. Dati. Operating word: were. Past tense. I wasn't the brightest star now. And I wasn't that interested with being in the limelight anymore.

"I think going back as an actress is a good move. You can transition to directing through it," sumeryoso si Dharma. "I will be the main lead in your first movie, right?"

Tumawa ako at napairap ulit. "You're my first choice."

"Babe, I'm the only choice. Besides you owe me. You didn't get me for your one-year film!"