Chapter Forty

It lasted more than ten seconds. He didn't break the hug, so I savored every moment. It silenced the demons in my head, too.

When he sighed, alam ko na umaabuso na ako. I quickly stepped back and wiped my tears away.

"Thank you," I murmured.

"Can you still drive?" tanong niya. Napaangat ang tingin ko sa kanya. He seemed casual now. Hindi ko alam kung mas gusto ko na galit siya o yung ganitong kalmado lang.

"I can. I feel better now." I nodded.

I wondered what he would do if I said no.

"Go home then. It's late," sabi niya at tumingin sa kanyang relos.

I felt a little blue. I wanted to be with him longer but I shouldn't be greedy. This was already good enough for me.

"I will. Goodnight," I quietly said and turned my back.

Every step was heavy as I reached my car. He remained standing there, watching me as I started my car and drove off.

Seeing Hades helped. It cleared my head and put me back on track. My way to him.

I planned to ignore the issue like always. It would die down in a matter of day and the scavengers would swoop down to the next issue.

As for Asia, I owed her a proper apology with an explanation. Once I had settled everything else, I would definitely fo that.

With Zeus Ziegler, I didn't want to see him again but he needed to be put in his place. He would be part of my main agenda tomorrow.

And... Hades, tomorrow was the start of me actively pursuing him. I was already almost two weeks delayed because of Asia, but it was still decent time before the next pieces in my board to fall into place.

I was already in a light mood when I went to bed but all of my senses went haywire when I saw a notification on my screen.

A text message. From Hadeon. When was the last time he sent me a message? I couldn't remember the exact date anymore. It had been too long.

And he still had my number.

I took a deep breath and pressed my hand on my chest to calm my heart down before I opened it.

Hades:
Are you home?

I bit my lip. He wanted to know if I was home, because he cared. It watered the hope that was in my heart. I could feel it growing into a tiny seedling.

Kaia:
Yes. You?

It was too late to realize that it was a stupid question. He was already outside their estate. Of course, he was already home.

I didn't leave the app, so I saw him typing but then it disappeared and he never sent the message.

I frowned.

Kaia:
You didn't go home yet? Saan ka pumunta?

I bit down on my finger as I waited for his reply. I doubted that I could sleep without his reply. Matagal-tagal bago siya sumagot. It had been freaking fifteen minutes.

Hades:
Nasa bahay na.

Kaia:
Kakauwi mo lang? Did you go somewhere else?

Hades:
Matulog ka na.

I pouted. So cold. But at least he replied.

Kaia:
Fine. Goodnight.

I slammed my phone down my bed with a heavy frown, pero hindi rin nagtagal ay napalitan 'yon ng ngiti.