CHAPTER 1

Every week on Sunday my family and I have brunch together. No exceptions. You always, always need to keep your Sunday brunch time free.

That's why here I am, going to the Mansion I spent most of my childhood in to have brunch with my family.

My phone buzzes in my purse and I take it out to see it's a text from Mia, my baby sister.

Mia:
Dude, how long??

Me:
Almost there. A couple more mins.

Let me tell a little about my family.

My father, Henry, is the head of the Irish mafia and my mother's name is Cara.

I'm the second child. My brother, Author, is two years elder than me. Sofia, my younger sister, is two years younger than me. And then the youngest of us all, Mia. She is five years younger than me.

Mia and I are the closest. But we couldn't be more different personality vice. I think that's one of the big reason we are close.

Henry is currently the head of the mafia but it's not long before Author is going to take his place. Author is currently twenty-five.

As long as I can remember, Author had always wanted to become the head.

Sofia is somewhat included in the Mafia but Mia and I tried to keep our distance as much as possible.

Fortunately, father and mother didn't have any problem with me not being a part of the mafia.

I still have guards with me though. My bodyguard, James, is sitting in the passenger seat right now and my other bodyguard, Ian, is driving.

Glancing out of the window, I see the leaves fall off the trees. It's fall currently, my favourite season. The sky is cloudy right now.

We are five minutes from the mansion when the car comes to an abrupt stop.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"There's a man lying on the road." Both James and Ian takes out their guns and gets out of the car. "Stay in, Ella." James order before closing and locking the door.

Both James and Ian helps the guy stand up and then they start talking to him, it seems pretty tense.

My thumb keeps rolling the ring on my index finger. It's something I do whenever I'm anxious. In need of a distraction, I grab my phone to text my best friend.

But before I could, I hear a gunshot startle me and my eyes shut close. Then another shot goes off, my eyes open but I'm too scared to look up and see what happened.

My hands start shaking and with shaky hands I take off my heels which work really good as a weapon.

It's okay.
It's okay.
You took a self-defence class once.
It's okay.

I TOOK THE CLASS ONCE!
WHO AM I KIDDING?
GODDAMN IT!

I knew I should've continued with the class.

Then i remember- I once saw James put a gun in the backseat pocket. Quickly I take out the gun and put it in my waist band.

The door to the driver's seat opens and I'm almost about to throw my heel when I see it's just Ian. His shirt is covered with blood and there are little spots of blood on his face as well.

Abruptly he gets in and starts the car. He quickly calls someone and says something I can't make out. "What the fuck is going on?" I yelled.

"Shut up, Ella!" Ian orders.

"Fuck you. I'm not gonna shut up," I hiss and then as the car starts going toward, it hits me. James isn't here. "Where is James?" My voice shakes as I ask. Ian doesn't answer. "He is dead," I say, more to myself.

"Yeah," He replies.

"Ian. What's going on?" I asked.

"We're under attack, what the fuck else?" He growls. 

Then I hear another gunshot, then another and the car slowly stops moving. I'm pretty sure the shooter hit the tires.

"Fuck!" Ian yells as he punches the steering wheel.

He turns back to look at me. "Don't fucking get out." He orders before getting out.

Getting up a little, I remove the gun from my waist band and clenched it in my hands as tightly as possible along with removing the safety. Growing up, I knew the basics about how a gun works.

Shifting a little, my gaze sets on Ian and what he's doing. In just one second he points his gun at something and shoots a shot. Even though I knew he'd shoot, I still flinched.

Another gun goes off and Ian falls to the ground, blood pooling near his head. It was a headshot, holy fucking shit. My eyes widen and I start shaking more but I need to calm myself.

Shaking right now won't help. A black car starts coming towards the car I'm sitting in and then they stop.

I don't get out of the car and lock all the doors. They could be dangerous.

Two men gets out of the car, both wearing suits and I can see guns in their waist band. Fuck fuck fuck.

They approach the side where I'm sitting at and tries to open the door. Then one of the guy takes out a knife and I know he is going to try to break the glass.

I look at the other door. No one is standing there. I take off my heels and the gun in my hand in case but before I can open the other door, the guy breaks the glass—some tiny ones cutting giving my arm a few cuts—and opens the lock.

With shaking hands I bring the gun forward and shoots at the mans hand before reconsidering.

"Fuck!" He screams in pain. "You bitch," he growls and the other guy comes towards me. I shove the sharp part of the heel on his forearm.

Opening the door, I start going to the other side of the road, away from them. My feet hurt badly, the tiny stones on the road cutting into my skin.

I hear the sound of a car starting but don't stop. I can't afford to stop. The car they came into comes to a stop in front of me and a guy gets out of the passenger seat.

My legs comes to a halt stop. "Did you guys bring a fucking army?" I yell, breathing heavily and pull the gun forward to shoot the guy. But someone grabs the gun from behind and hauls me in the air, keeping a tight grip on me.

Jerking my head back with all the force I can, I try to hit the guy but a hand lands on my head, keeping it still.

The guy who came out of the car comes in clear view. And I remind myself to slap me if I'm alive in future to find the guy attractive.

I feel something sharp on my neck and hiss in pain. "What the ever-loving hell? What do you all want?" I ask, defeated.

But they don't say anything and drag me towards the car. Not like I expected them to actually answer me.

Im in the air, kicking and one of the kick goes to the guy who came out of the passenger seat's jaw. He shoots a glare towards me before opening the door of the car and shoving me in. I start seeing spots and black out.