CHAPTER 16

MATTEO:
*flashback to chapter 11*

They both, Ella and Mia, runs toward each other and hug. Sofia joining in soon.

They all mutter and whisper something to each other before breaking apart. My gaze lands on their fucking father and how he is looking at everyone with a bit of disgust. Guess now that his true intentions were finally revealed towards them, he wont hide his feelings.

Fucks sake, I don't want to leave my angel under the care of this motherfucker.

I turn towards Luca. "I won't be going back to New York."

He doesn't seem shocked at all. "I knew that would happen."

I ignore his comment and continue. "Ella will try to run away. We both know she will," I fully face him. "I want you to let her."

Now he does seem startled. "What?"

"She wont back down without a fight, let her think she's getting away. Don't try to find her until I say so." I stop before continuing. "Instead, I'll find her."

It seems like Luca wants to say something or object but he stiffly nods. We look back at the family reunion that's happening in front of my eyes as if they've met after years and not merely two days.

*Flashback over*

When Luca called to update me on everything, he mentioned how him and the other two Byrne sisters would be going out for 'book shopping' or something like that. Not quite sure. Don't give a fuck.

He told me that my angel won't be going since she wants to 'overview somethings for the marriage.' Neither Luca nor I bought. Gotta admit, my angel isn't the best at making excuses but this one has to be the worst one yet.

Since I knew she was planning on running away, I had to see for myself what the plan was. 

It was quite smart, I got to admit that as well. Dumping the car with the tracker to mislead, giving the phone to Mia so she cannot be traced. She was still a bit careless though. Some members of the Mafia, who did not get along with Henry, starting following my angel to take her as revenge. 

Now they're in a dump with broken body parts. 

I observe Ella who is sitting next to me right now. Her eyes are wide behind the glasses, face pale, she's scared to see me. Does she think I'm going to hurt her? Fucking hell, if she thinks I'm gonna hurt her, I'm gonna shoot myself in my foot. 

My hands dart forward, taking the glasses off her. The small contact with her skin makes a weird sensation in my stomach take place. That seems to happen a lot when I'm with her. 

But I'm not the only one who has a reaction from this contact since goosebumps erupt on Ella's skin too. The corner of my mouth tilts up and I try to stop myself from smiling. 

"Come on, let's go," I stand up and offer my hand. She is still staring at me like she's seen a ghost or maybe an alien. "Come on, darling." 

She gulps and stands up, avoiding any kind of contact with me. 

"Very well then."

We move out of the plane in silence, with everyone else staring at us. I kept Ella in front of me to make sure she doesn't make a run. And knowing her she probably would have tried. 

My hand lands on her lower back and she jumps, surprised and startled. The guards who came with me follow us shortly behind. Everyone at the Airport stares while we make our way out. 

Ella's cheeks turn slightly pink and I can tell all the stares are making her uncomfortable. From the corner of my eye, I can see her fidgeting with the ring in her finger. From what I've picked up, it's a habit of her for when she is uncomfortable or is nervous.