CHAPTER 24

MATTEO

The car door slams behind Ella as she gets out and run inside the house to her sister. Anger surged through me after knowing what have taken place. 

Slamming the door twice as hard, not caring about the car in this moment, I stalk behind Ella. 

When I got the call from one of my man informing me what happened, a rare kind of anger took place inside me. Usually, in these cases, I would be calm and collected but considering on whom this all has happened, I cannot control my rage. 

The moment in the car I informed Ella about what happened, she nearly had a panic attack. And because I left so abruptly, Mia and Luca had to come in the other car which meant Ella and I were alone while I told her and because I was driving, I couldn't even calm her down. When I tried to park the car aside to get to her side, she stopped me. No, she ordered me to keep driving. 

Behind me, I hear another car arrive in full speed, most probably the one with Luca and Mia in it but I don't bother looking back to confirm as I keep up with Ella but still a few steps behind. 

Giulia comes out of Sofia's room the moment Ella brushes past her and rush to Sofia's side. I examine the room and take in all the people inside. A doctor treating Sofia's arm, Silas standing in the corner of the room, anger and the feeling that he may commit genocide any moment now radiating off of him. A nurse stands inside the room helping the doctor and a maid stands near the door. 

A small person brushes past me, only for me to realise it's Mia Byrne.

"Tell me the details." I ask Silas, Sofia's new bodyguard and owner of the best security company in the country, about the attempt of shooting them. Though it surprised me that the owner himself became a bodyguard for someone, I do not blame him. Byrne girls really do be affecting men in unknown ways. 

His jaw clenches before he releases it. "We came out of the designer's office when the shooting started. It was too abrupt. I acted fast but not fast enough apparently. They got her arm." His gaze turns from Sofia to me. "An inside man was part of it." He declares without a speck of hesitation.

My brow raises at his accusation. "How sure are you?" I ask even though I know the answer.

"Thousand percent." 

I nod. "Very well then." My eyes move onto my sweet angel. She is tear eyed, next to her sister and examining the wound on her arm. Sofia seems to be too calm and collected for someone on whom a shooting happened.

I turn to leave only to be stopped by Silas' voice. "Save the shooter for me." I spare him a last glance before stalking about of the room. Luca follows me and a few other men as well. 

Whoever the fuck did this is going to pay and wish they had never even thought about doing such a thing in the first place.

* * *

ELLA

"What is happening?" Sofia peaks at the guard, Aldo, who is taking us towards some room in the basement where--and I quote the guard--Capo have called upon us from. 

After Matteo told me that Sofia had been shot while exiting the designer's store where to went to have her dress altered, which was about two hours ago now, everything inside my froze and panic took over me. He almost pulled over the car but since I screamed at him to keep driving, he kept driving. I kept trying Sofia's phone before Silas picked it up and told me exactly what had happened. 

He said the doctor was treating Sofia's wound, it was not anything serious but a shot on the arm. Though from his voice, I could tell how it definitely was not "anything serious" for him and I'm not just talking about the wound.