CHAPTER 5

*FLASHBACK*

Today was my mother's funeral and I ran away right after it all was over. I couldn't bare it anymore.

Even though I knew I shouldn't have left my siblings alone, especially considering how they're younger than me and how mom would not have approved of it even at the slightest bit but I couldn't help it.

The first chance I got, I ran away from the place. I needed to get away before my rage could've taken over and the amount of people I would've killed.

Now I'm here, sitting against a tree, tears fall down my face as I look up at the sky. I want to think that mom is watching over me right now but I know it's all a lie. She isn't.

Though I suppose I should be happy for her. She died, she's in a better place now than this fucking hell hole.

Holy fuck, I don't know how to feel! I feel rage, I want fucking revenge for what happened to her and father. And I will get it.

Even if father and I hadn't had the best relationship, he had meant a lot to mom. Mom would've wanted me to avenge father. Or at least I hope so.

I'm in a black suit right now, my sunglasses pushed up on my head. The sunlight of the golden hour coming directly on my face.

Sunlight. I've always liked it. I don't know if I do anymore. It reminds me a lot of mom, she was like sunshine too. She always knew how to make the people around her smile.

Fuck, I do not want to think of my mom right now. I really fucking don't.

Tilting my head back a little more, I stare up at the sunset.

A shadow comes over me. My gaze goes over to the owner of the shadow, only to realise its a girl with a box of something, looking at me with concern.

Quickly I slide the sunglasses down and back into its place so the girl cannot tell that I had been crying or she couldn't see my red-rimmed eyes. Moving a little, I go to the shadier part of the tree so she couldn't see me properly.

Even through my sunglasses I study the girl. She is wearing ribbed jeans with a basic top and sliders. Her hair are tied at the nape of her neck, loose strands in the front coming in front of her eyes.

She smiles softly at me. It feels weird and comforting at the same time. But all I want right now is for this girl to go away from me before I shoot her with my gun out of mere annoyance.

"Hi," she says softly, an accent slipping through but I don't say anything. Go away, I think.

But apparently she takes my silence as an invitation to come sit beside me, only leaving a distance of half a foot.

Why can't people take a hint and leave? I clearly do not want to talk to this girl. Goddamn, how fucking blind can people be?

Out of the corner of my eye, I look at her open the box in her hand and take a... muffin out? She takes a huge bite out of it and glances at me.

Her eyes light up at catching me watch her. She smiles and picks up another muffin, offering it to me. I don't take it and keep staring at the cupcake.

"God, it's not poisoned. I swear," she chuckles and it's soothing. Weirdly soothing. Jesus.

She looks at me with this emotion in her eyes that somehow compels me to take the cupcake from her which makes her smile wider.

"I promise you'll absolutely love it. Chocolate chip muffins are life!" She exclaims as her head falls back and her gaze settles on the sky.

Sudden she sits up and turns fully towards me.

"I'm Ella Bryne," she introduces herself as she puts her hand out for me to take it for a shake but I freeze on spot.

"Ella Byrne," I repeated.

Ella Byrne. Henry Bryne's eldest daughter. The Irish Mafia Princess. Does she not know that the Irish Mafia isn't fucking allowed in this city? In my city.

I can't comprehend how dumb this girl might be if she knows that this is the enemy's territory she is in right now and the head she's talking to.

But I place my palm on her anyways for a firm hand shake.

"Are you from here?" I ask, curious to know what she'd say.

Shaking her head, she replies, "Chicago. Came with my best friend and her family." She smiles.

I have no clue why she smiles but I want to see that smile again.

"She made me come to a mall with her and well... I'm not proud of what I did next but I ditched her to get the muffins and came to the park." She tells me as she tucks a piece of hair behind her ear. 

I chuckle softly.

Again, no idea as to why I am chucking.

"So what's your name?" She finally asks. I can't tell if she might be playing dumb right now for her father or she genuinely does not know who I am.

Leaning back, I let out a sign. "Let's keep that a secret, shall we?" I know she can't see me properly right now. The sunglasses are hiding my eyes, and I'm on the shadier side of the tree, meaning she won't be able to make me out the second she sees me in light.

"Mate. If you would've told me that before I introduced myself, I could've kept my identity a secret as well." She whines.

A devilish laugh comes out of me at the idea of her thinking she could hide from me.

"I would've found out who you are anyway."

She shudders slightly. "It's cold." She says changing the topic though I already know the cause of the shudder had nothing to do with the weather.

I let out a soft hmm in reply as a gust of wind comes, knocking the paper box out of her hand and two muffins falling.

"Fuck!" She curses and it makes my eyebrows go up. Quickly, she grabs the muffins and put in the box but keeps one in her one.

She takes a bite and my eyebrows rise higher. She looks at me with a defending wide-eyed look. "5 second rule!" She practically shouts making me laugh.

A smile breaks out on her face as she watches me laugh and it makes a weird feeling take place in my stomach.

But my laughing abruptly stops when I see two black cars approach the main gate of the park. Luca and Bianca are probably here. I need to send Ella away or go away myself.

Noticing the expression on my face, a concerned one takes place on her face. "What's wrong?" She asks.

Instead of answering her, I pull a ring from my tiny finger and grab her left wrist. Her wrist is so warm, I want to keep a hold onto it but I cannot. I need to go. They're here, they can't see her.

Placing the ring on her index finger, I stand up abruptly and start to move away before she grabs my wrist.

"What's wrong?" She asks again, her eyes wide.

"Don't worry about it. I need to go right now but one day we will meet again," I promise.

Her presses her lips together before nodding and crouching to grab the muffin. "You gave me the ring, here's a muffin."

The corner of my lips curl up. I turn around and run towards the car, Bianca and Luca already out of the car and they've already seen her.

Their eyes are wide but luckily no one else got out and saw her.

"Who was she?" Bianca asks. Her voice sounds like she isn't sure if she should be happy for me or to feel sad.

I shake my head instead of answering.

"No one speaks of this to anyone." I order roughly before getting into one of the car and slamming the door behind me.

*FLASHBACK OVER*