14. your song

Sage and Alex's fan meeting in Shanghai was the last project they had together. When they got back to Seoul, Sage just finished five commercial films and then he finally detached himself from the public to prepare for his enlistment while Alex, on the other hand, had been very busy with CFs, her album, and her upcoming concert.

After a day's work, Sage would pick her up at Aira's place with his recently bought Hyundai SUV so as not to attract any unwanted attention. Together they would just spend quality time at Alex's apartment.

And because Sage has been constantly "visiting" her apartment, Alex decided to buy a couple of things that he could use while he pays a visit, such as, toothbrushes, slippers, towels, terno jammies, mugs, and even matching pillows.

Now, her apartment clearly shows that two people are living in it. While Alex is at work, Sage buys groceries and cleans her apartment because his apartment has an exclusive housekeeper to keep it clean.

Alex is now working on her full comeback album. When her 12-hour recording for her title track ended at 11 pm, Aira informed her that Sage is already at her private parking in the basement waiting for her, and adjacent to his car was Hans also waiting for Aira inside the car.

Both cars went on their separate ways when they left the basement. As it was already late, they went home faster than usual.

Sage reheated the meal he cooked on the microwave and prepared for dinner, while Alex took a shower. They enjoyed their meal as they discussed the lineup songs for her album. She wanted Sage to listen to the title track she recorded a while ago.

When Sage heard the song, he knew why it took 12 hours to record it. Alex was feeling something was amiss but she couldn't pinpoint where, and when he heard it, he knew what she was looking for.

"Don't you think the chord progression is too simple for a title track?" Alex asked him while looking at her music player.

"Yep, it is. The melody is already good but maybe we can tweak a little on the pre-chorus by changing the rhythm a notch higher and try a pulsation effect and add a fading vocal chop towards the end to emphasize those two lines." Sage suggested after listening to the recording.

He then went inside her room and took out his laptop and proceeded to the living room, tried tweaking the song as he sees fit.

Alex almost forgot that his boyfriend was also a music producer other than him being an actor and his experience would surely create a whole new effect on her title track.

Sage made necessary adjustments on the track while immersing himself in his thing, looking extremely serious.

"Why does he look so sexy when he's serious? This is by far the most handsome image I have of him ever since we became a couple

"Why does he look so sexy when he's serious? This is by far the most handsome image I have of him ever since we became a couple. I would surely miss this man when he enlisted." Alex whispered in her thoughts careful enough not to disrupt his chain of thoughts.

So as not to disturb him, Alex tidied things up and joined Sage in the living room. He was still glued to the screen like a master craftsman examining his masterpiece for flaws. After an hour of editing, he played the song once more.

This time, the song changed to a whole new level. It emphasized the hook in the lyrics and blended perfectly with the tweaked arrangement, the newly enhanced chord progression fulfilled what Alex had in mind and that was the festive beat without totally becoming loud.

This was what Sage thought Alex wanted but couldn't point out. Alex is the type of musician who wants to let her listeners feel happy with her songs even if nothing is going around so much. Festive but not so loud. Just the right amount of effects and instruments to fulfill that vibe.

"Love, thank you so so much! This is what I've been struggling with within the recording and my team couldn't get what I wanted. But you knew what I had in mind! Thank you!" She then hugged her tightly this time.

"Love, cut them some slack, they won't get what you want because this arrangement is new in our country. This would be a good platform to introduce this genre to us. I only learned this when I was in the US and I'm glad you were pleased with what I did." Sage smiled proudly.

He wanted to learn music production just for this day. Because this is what he wanted to do for her ever since he was a kid and he's happy to see her smile because of him. He felt more proud of this achievement rather than winning best actor at Baeksang.

"I should give you credit for this. I must include you as one of the producers in my album. You deserve it." Alex asserted as she played the music once more.

"Love, no. I don't want to attract any attention. And besides, it's just one song and it's not much. People might suspect so, just let it stay as is, hmm?" Sage rebutted.

"Well, that makes sense, if you say so. Now, I can finally put my mind at ease. I'm satisfied with this. Thank you very much!" Alex kissed him on the cheek as she hugged him tightly once again.

"Now, that this is finally over, can we sleep now? You still have work tomorrow and it's already very late. You need to rest." Sage responded as he took her by the hand and led their way to her room.

Sage immediately closed his eyes to sleep but he noticed that after five minutes, Alex was still restless and wide awake.

"What's wrong?" He faced her direction as she stroked her hair.

"I can't sleep. My mind is still restless. You can sleep ahead. Don't mind me." Alex dismissed him.

"Well, if you can't sleep then I won't sleep."

"Can you sing a song for me? I haven't heard you sing for years already. I miss your voice."

"Are you sure?" Alex nodded in response. "Okay. But don't blame me if this will not make you sleep, okay?"

"Yes!" Alex said in glee as she snuggled closer to him.

Sage then started singing in his low baritone voice.

"It took one look
And forever layout in front of me
One smile, then I died
Only to be revived by you…"
He caressed her hair gently while singing and tried rubbing her arms to calm her down.

"I take one step away
Then I find myself coming back to you
My only
One and only you
Ooh..."

Alex smiled when she heard his choice of song. It may not be at his best vocal condition, but she felt he sang wholeheartedly as he meant every lyric.

"Now I know
That I know not a thing at all
Except the fact that I am yours
And that you are mine..."

He knew that she was constantly worrying about her album and upcoming concert. After three songs, Sage finally heard soft snores from Alex. Sage doesn't mind singing more if that could make her feel at ease.

His voice may not be suited for lullabies, but it was the comforting feeling that he gave to Alex that she's not alone. She could be defenceless, she's safe... in his arms.

"She's really tired. She only snores when she is." He uttered himself as he kissed her forehead then closed his eyes as well.

"Good night, my one and only."