24. last night

Time sure flies fast when you spend it with the ones you love. But it is also a fleeting moment that you can't hold on to, no matter how much you want.

This is what Alex and Sage were feeling when the final day of Sage in the outside world has come. Tomorrow is the day he is bound to enlist in the military. Alex has asked Aira for a day off today. She intends to justft stay in the apartment with him until tomorrow.

After breakfast, together, they went for groceries early in the morning to avoid the influx of people. Both of them will be cooking for their candlelit dinner on their last night together. Alex wants to cook Sage's favorite pan-seared garlic butter steak while Sage will be cooking Alex's favorite filet mignon. Both of them are actually meat lovers but because of their job, they can only eat these dishes in moderation. Sage also took the '1886' Cabernet Sauvignon from his collections for this special night.

He also got a total of 6 slices of cake. For 2 birthdays of each other, 1 anniversary as a couple and 1 for the wedding anniversary he'l will miss. Yes, there's a military vacations in between but he can't guarantee what month and day it will fall. An advance celebration won't hurt, isn't it?

They cleaned the house when they got back from their grocery shopping and took a short nap afterward, then prepared to cook for their dinner.

The couple dressed to the nines for this special night. Sage with his black suit, and Alex with a white long-sleeved dress. They dined without mentioning about what will happen tomorrow. The couple wanted to just cherish every moment they have left of this day.

After their dinner, Sage invited her to the living room as he wanted to show her something. Alex brought the wine with them as Sage took out a package from their room.

She was already seated on the couch when he approached her with something big in his hands. He sat beside her and spoke,

"This arrived this afternoon while you were having your nap."

"Is this what I think, this is?" Alex asked in full eagerness.

"Yep." He replied simply as he opened the box.

It was the portrait of their marriage picture as a couple in an elegant frame.

(disclaimer: the photos used are for visual purposes only)

After they went to their parents' place they had a quick detour to Platinum Agency's in-house photo studio to take this photo. Hans did a great job as their photographer. He also asked him to bring another set of wardrobe for the couple, including his own necktie. Sage was surprised to see that Hans printed even those photos that were not studio-worthy.

"At least I have my own necktie in this portrait. I always have something borrowed whenever it's a special day for us." Sage sighed and complained.

Alex chuckled and said, "Maybe that's your lucky charm? But it makes it more unforgettable, doesn't it? Don't worry. You won't have something borrowed on our wedding proper."

"Life is indeed full of surprises, especially a life with you. But this picture is not as bad as I thought." He then stroked the picture like priceless porcelain.

"We can hang it in the bedroom. Then this small picture frame of ours will be on our bedside drawer." Alex suggested as she stood up to put it in their bedroom and Sage hung it on their wall above the bed.

The young married couple then both stared at their wedding picture with pure bliss

The young married couple then both stared at their wedding picture with pure bliss. Sage put his arms on Alex's shoulders as she snuggled closer and clung to his arms.

Just like a natural reflex, Sage then kissed Alex's forehead as she closed her eyes to feel more of him. They enjoyed comfortable silence when Alex was suddenly reminded of something that made her jerk up.

"Omo! We have not exchanged vows yet!" She covered her mouth in surprise as if forgetting it was a huge blunder.

"We can still do that in our actual ceremony later with the rings, so it's fine...." Sage reassured as he looked at her.

"Ani. Ani. We must do that now. Even just a simple one. The rings can wait since we can't wear them too. So, would you like to go first? Or me?" she inquired looking as serious as she could.

"Ladies first," Sage replied simply as he put his hands in his pocket.

"Fine..." She rolled her eyes in defeat.

Alex thought for a while as she was recollecting the thoughts she intended to tell him. Then after a few seconds, she finally had something in mind.