30. her 'military service'

Elle performed 2 out of 5 songs already. She moved around the stage, looking at every man in the crowd, finding someone. But she can't see him.

After singing, she asked for a water break on the sides because Aira is signaling her to do so.

Aira then approached her and said, "You're being slightly obvious, relax, his aura is too striking, you'll see him immediately if he's here."

Alex started to ask where could Sage be. Aira already asked Hans about it when she didn't see any trace of Sage in the audience. They know, he won't miss this.

"Hans told me Sage is still on duty until 5 pm. They had rotation last night, so his schedule of duty changed. It's only 4:16 pm." Aira whispered subtly in her ear.

Elle entertained the soldiers, chatted with them, and even hosted mini-games. She did her best because she knows, even if Sage won't be able to watch her full performance today, everyone had been recording her performance since she started. He will surely watch this too.

When she finished her last song, it was already 5:03 pm. But she still hasn't seen her husband. So at the last minute, she decided to do an encore. She agreed to sing a song that was requested by the audience.

"Thank you so much for inviting me here. I hope I did well." But the men in the room shouted for an encore. "Encore? Okay. I'll sing one more song... for you guys."

"For the people, we've been missing, and for all of you here that are sorely missed by your loved ones too. Here it goes."

All I hear is raindrops
Falling on the rooftop
Oh, baby tell me why'd you have to go
'Cause this pain I feel
It won't go away
And today I'm officially missing you

She closed her eyes while singing. "I really am missing you. Where are you, Mr. Sage Kim?", she thought.

After singing Officially Missing You, she then sang another one. She's afraid the soldiers would feel sad and lonely, so she added,

"Oh did I set the wrong mood? Sorry! Okay, okay. I'll sing one more song. This will be my last song to change the mood and cheer you up. What song do you want?" And the soldiers shouted different songs. But a group of men in the front row shouted a song in unison.

"Through the Night? That's a hard one

"Through the Night? That's a hard one. But I think it really suits you all. So, Through the Night for our last song." She paused for a while. The technical team prepared the music while she drank some water and did a little vocalization. "Okay, I may not be IU sunbaenim, but I'll try to give justice to her beautiful song. I hope you like it." Then she started singing,

Tonight, I'll send the glow of a firefly
to somewhere near your window
It's that I love you...

Everyone in the room closed their eyes as they were enchanted by Elle's angelic voice. She's doing her best but of course, IU's version will always be superior. Elle murmured "I love you" sweetly and they all melted as if that was really for each one of them.

 Elle murmured "I love you" sweetly and they all melted as if that was really for each one of them

I remember our first kiss
I close my eyes whenever I can
and go to the farthest place

When Elle opened her eyes after the last line, her eyes caught someone familiar entering the hall. A familiar silhouette.

"Just like letters on the sandwhere waves wereI feel you'll disappearTo a far off placeI always miss you, miss you

where waves were
I feel you'll disappear
To a far off place
I always miss you, miss you.."

She thought she was just hallucinating but as he walked closer to the stage, it was really him. It's Sage, the one she missed the most. He came. Seeing him was enough to send her to the brink of tears. Her heart was already in her throat.

You really couldn't tell how much you miss a person until you see him personally, right? Alex felt she missed him more now. Oh, God! She longed for him.

"All the words
In my heart
I can't show them all to you
But, it's that I love you"

Sage ran as fast as he could to come when he heard that Elle is the one performing on stage. He was still panting, catching his breath, as he wiped his face and sweat while listening to Elle's voice. He thought he would miss the show entirely.

"How can I be so lucky
to have met you, who is a blessing
If we're together now
Oh, how great it'd be"

"Oh yes, Mr. Kim. I'm so lucky to have you. And damn! You are very handsome in your military uniform. We're just unlucky today that we are not alone right now. I miss being together with you." Alex thought. She looked directly at him as she sang while he looked at her too with equal longing.

They were allowing themselves to speak with their eyes. Through those stares, they spoke in a language only the two of them understood, longing would be an understatement about how they feel at the moment.

"Tonight, I'll send the glow of a firefly
to somewhere
Near your window
I hope it's a good dream.."

Elle gave her goodbye and said, "No matter how far your distance is right now with your loved ones, we will be sending fireflies to your rooms and hope every one of you has a good night's sleep every night. Always remember that you are missed too, just as much as you missed them."

"To our hardworking soldiers, salute! Your efforts in our country are surely appreciated. Till we see each other outside. See you!" Then Elle bowed in gratitude and walked towards the exit.

She ended her last song with the applause of all.

"But a minute of eye to eye interaction is not enough... ottoke?" Alex thought as she walked back to her dressing room.