28. marriage tips

Alex has requested Aira to fill her weekdays with work as she wanted to go home to her apartment just to sleep so as not to miss her husband that much.

Cellphones are only allowed on a specified schedule for the military trainees, it is for this reason that Sage could not communicate with her as often as he could.

After her concert tour, Aira then managed all of Alex's jam-packed schedules from CF's, TV guestings, radio shows to her second full album and her next drama. She decided that she won't be having a concert until Sage gets out of the military. She accepted all projects that have been offered to her but asked to have her weekends cleared to spend time with her parents.

She knows that she needs to learn how to become a wife for Sage and she needed all the help she could get from her mom. That is why every weekend, she stays at her parent's place to learn how to cook and all the necessary things she must learn to become a good wife for him. Well, to keep her busy and for some company.

Aside from learning how to become a good wife for Sage, she also wanted to spend as much time as she could with her parents because she knows that they are already getting old. And as their only daughter, it is expected that the responsibility of taking care of them is solely hers. That is why she makes time for them and despite her busy schedule, she calls them during her breaks.

One Saturday morning, while she was making bulgogi, Alex asked her mom out of the blue.

"Eomma, I know that you and Dad still go on dates but ordinary days such as this, you stay in the kitchen while he stays in the living room to watch TV. Don't you feel burdened that he is not helping you with your cooking? I mean petty things such as this, cooking is not that easy now that I have learned how to cook." She asked curiously as she was having her plating the bulgogi.

Mrs. Lee smiled and responded. "You only see him watching TV while I am cooking but you did not see him repairing things in the house while I am napping." As she set the table for their lunch.

"Alex, marriage is all about teamwork. You become the support of your partner in things he or she lacks. Just like what I said earlier, your father doesn't know how to cook and I also do not know minor repairs. So we fill up with each other's inadequacies." Mrs. Lee added as she positioned herself on the table.

"And because you are a team for life, you have to make sure that you work things out with compromise. You and Sage should learn to do that. You will have a lot of fights in the future, trust me, just like us but, have you ever seen us fight?"

Alex shook her head in response.

"Well, because we settle our issues inside our room and we never intended for you to hear it. It is our private matter that we need to resolve on our own. When the time comes that you need to settle your issues with your husband, remember that both of you are not perfect. Create a big room for patience and forgiveness and I want you to always bear this in mind, do not bring about faults in the past repeatedly."

Alex was already seated beside her mom as she listened to everything she said.

"As a couple, you have to move on together and never cross past faults. It would be hard but that is the key to a happy marriage." Mrs. Lee smiled as she placed her hand on her daughter's shoulder.

Alex started to think deeply as she tried to absorb her mother's wisdom. Then after a moment,

"Eomma, I think it is to our advantage that Sage is my best friend first before he became my husband. I mean I have known him since childhood so I guess, we could somehow lessen fights, don't you think?" Alex asked back.

"Well, my dear, you will never get to know the person unless you live under one roof. You will discover more things in him now that you are living together. Every day will be a day of discovery from now on, it is either you accept it or accept it, and so will he." She then heaved a deep sigh and continued,

"That's why never get into marriage unless you are ready to accept everything in him. The good and the bad, the pleasant and the awful and most especially the scars and the wounds. You have to be extremely sure to accept it."

"And one more thing, divorce should be the last option you have to consider after you have exhausted all means to fix your marriage. Not because divorce is available here, you would easily say it when you got into serious fights. Give each other the time and space you both need to ponder things separately, if you must. Allow yourself to cool down and never say words you can't take back if you are angry because it would only worsen the situation."

Alex pondered over the things her Mom mentioned. Marriage is indeed no joke. But she would gladly listen to her Mom's words of wisdom. Though, applying it is a whole new different thing.