"Old Friend"

( The Next Day )

* I felt Arthur quietly make his way out of bed, trying his best to not wake me, even though I was already awake. I opened my eye to see him getting dressed into a more formal outfit and drink a glass of whisky. I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep. I heard him walk over to me and kiss my forehead*
Arthur: Good morning darling~
* I groaned and wiped my eyes and said*
Y/n: Morning... Arthur why are you in formal wear?
Arthur: I have to go. Stay and sleep if you want, there's whiskey on the table if you want a drink and take any of my clothes if needed. * He said calmly*
Y/n: Thank you, may I ask where you're going?
Arthur: A meeting for the brewery. Amelia has requested I attend.
Y/n: Oh, do you think I could come with?
Arthur: If you want although I think you would find it quiet boring...
Y/n: I'll be fine, how much time do I have to get ready?
Arthur: Around 15 minutes.
Y/n: Okay thank you!
* I crawled out of bed and put on the dress/suit I was wearing the other day. I fixed my hair and put on my shoes. I turned to Arthur and smiled*
Y/n: I'm ready!
Arthur: Alright come on.
* Our hands intertwined as we left the room. Arthur's face was a shade of pink *
Y/n: Are you blushing Havisham?
Arthur: I'm not.
Y/n: You are!
Arthur: Shh!
Y/n: Okay, okay. I'll shut up.
* We left the building but Arthur was soon stopped by Scrooge... The moneylender*
Scrooge: Ah, Sparrow, Mr Havisham?
Arthur: Not now, Mr Scrooge...
Scrooge: I'm sorry to disturb you. Tell me, when would be a good time to discuss the money you owe? A month, a year?
* Arthur pulled my hand and tried his best to make his way past Scrooge but he stopped him in his tracks*
Scrooge: Perhaps, you'd like some more of my money to tide you over.
Arthur: You will be paid in full. * He said in a harsh tone*
* He finally made his way past Scrooge dragging me with him but he stopped as soon as Scrooge said*
Scrooge: I hold share certificates to the Havisham Brewery. I have no doubt I'll be paid. I simply wish to discuss the time, the manner of the repayments.
Arthur: I'm soon to come into a substantial amount of money. You'll be paid then...
Scrooge: Ah, and when is this windfall likely to materialize?
Arthur: A week or two, perhaps.
Scrooge: A week. Any longer I shall increase your rate of interest by a further five percent.
Arthur: Do what you will. I'll not waist any more of my time with Y/n, and I'll not haggle in the street with a money lender. * He said tugging at my hand once again and walked off*
Y/n: You sure have a thing for debts...
Arthur: Don't comment on it.
Y/n: Alright.
Arthur: Let's just get to Satis House.
Y/n: Of course...

Honoria's POV

* I was currently sitting with Sir Leicester in a diner having some food. Not by choice Frances made me go*
Sir Leicester: Forgive me, but I prefer to speak plainly.
Honoria: It's always best to speak one's mind.
Sir Leicester: Then I shall. You know I'm a bachelor?
Honoria: Yes.
Sir Leicester: And though I am comfortable in my own company, I'm often called dull.
Honoria: Oh...
Sir Leicester: There are times when I yearn... For companionship, and you must know although I am a 'little' older... I am fond of you.
Honoria: And I of you.* I said lying*
* After the lunch I rushed outside and onto a bench for fresh air, I sent for James and he soon came running.*
Captain Hawdon: Honoria, what's wrong?
Honoria: Come and sit down.
Captain Hawdon: I'm not sure that I want to sit.
* I sighed and looked down picking at my rose colored nails*
Captain Hawdon: You said you wanted to see me. I dropped everything to be here and you act as if I'm a stranger.
Honoria: I don't mean to...
Captain Hawdon: Tell me.
* I stood up my legs trembling with fear, my thoughts clouded with sadness*
Honoria: I cannot see you anymore.
* His head slid to the left as he said*
Captain Hawdon: You can't mean that...
Honoria: We have no future. Surely, that's as clear to you as it is to me.
Captain Hawdon: But all the things we've planned together? Our whole life mapped out, marriage, a family, traveling together?
Honoria: Plans we've had for a very long time, yet are no closer to fruition.
Captain Hawdon: When my promotion comes...
Honoria: I'm sorry but I'm tired of waiting for a promotion that never comes, for a life that always begins tomorrow and never today.
Captain Hawdon: Only a week ago, you insisted that I call on your father to seek his approval... That's what this is about, isn't it? Your father.
Honoria: He needs me.
Captain Hawdon: I need you! How can you and I not being together possibly help your father? Or is it that you've come to hate me because I don't have the means or the influence the help him? * He said his voice low and his face drenched with sweat and tears*
Honoria: I don't hate you, James. How could I?
Captain Hawdon: Then explain it to me.
Honoria: I can't. Please, I beg you, don't make this more difficult than it already is.
Captain Hawdon: How could it be? I'll find some money. I'll do something, anything. I will beg, borrow steal, sell my soul if I have to but I can't lose you. Ask anything of me and I'll not flinch, but not that. Don't ask that of me * He said more tears steaming out of his eyes*
Honoria: I have to go...
Captain Hawdon: No, you must tell me what I've done wrong, why you're doing this. Honoria, talk to me!
Honoria: I can't leave him there!
~ ~ ~
Captain Hawdon: You aim to find a suitor. Someone of wealth and standing to help you. So, you're leaving me to become a whore.
* I gasped and quickly slapped him. My lip twitched and my eyes stained with tears. I quickly walked away trying not to make a further scene*
Captain Hawdon: Honoria, I'm sorry!
* I went back home and into my room, I washed my face and tried to process what happed just a few moments ago*
Frances: Honoria? You must come down.
Honoria: Later...
Frances: No, now.
* I sighed and dried my face, I walked down the steps to see a terrible sight.*
Honoria: Sir Leicester?
Sir Leicester: Forgive me, Miss Honoria. Your sister told me of your plight, I took the liberty of looking into the matter. I do hope you won't think badly of me.
Honoria: Papa! * I said running toward him and pulling him into a hug*
Father: To be honest, Sir Leicester, without your interventions, I fear I may never have got out of that awful place.
Sir Leicester: Nonsense, I'm sure it was just a temporary setback. I may simply have hastened the resolution, no more.
Frances: We have much to be grateful for, sister. Sir Leicester has settled all of Papa's debts.
Honoria: We are very grateful.
Sir Leicester: That's enough. I won't hear another word about it. It's done.
Honoria: Hmm...
Sir Leicester: And tomorrow, we must talk about how to get this business of yours back on it's feet. Although, there is one matter we might discuss briefly, Edward, if you're agreeable.
Father: Of course.
Sir Leicester: Miss Honoria was kind enough to receive me today. We went for a short walk and took lunch together.
Father: Oh, I see.
Sir Leicester: Chaperoned by Miss Frances, of course.
Father: Of course.
Sir Leicester: I spoke as plainly as I could of my fondness for her. With your permission, I should like to call on her again.
Father: Honoria? * He said looking at me*
Frances: Don't be shy, sister.
* I nodded my head still vey aware Frances was forcing me to this*
Father: Good. It is settled. You have my permission and indeed my blessing.
Sir Leicester: Excellent.
Father: Now, where's that port? Uh, Frances, there's a bottle in the study. Would you be so kind?
Frances: Yes, Father.
* Frances left and retuned with glasses of alcohol *
Father: A toast...
Sir Leicester: Yes.
Father: To the future.
* They clinked glasses and drank as they laughed *

Amelia's POV

Jaggers: When was this decision reached?
Amelia: Mr Jaggers, we simply have three additional attendees at our meeting.
Jaggers: Three?
Amelia: Compeyson, Arthur, and Y/n. Arthur sent for me saying they wanted to come.
Jaggers: You see Miss Havisham this is a meeting of the utmost importance. All the shareholders in one room. We can't afford to take risks. Your brother's recent behavior, for example.
Amelia: He is very sorry! I feel this could be a fresh start for the both of us. Arthur, as a shareholder himself has every right to be there.
Jaggers: And this Mr Compeyson as well as Sparrow... What are their interests?
Amelia: Compeyson may invest. And Y/n wanted to tag along in a simple act of being bored. Besides, Mr Compeyson has become a good freind the Arthur. I thought his presence would be a calming influence, same goes to Y/n he cares for them greatly and I think he would love to have them there.
Jaggers: It was your suggestion?
Amelia: Of course. Mr Jaggers, I don't understand your objection.
Jaggers: I'm merely questioning. I'm... I'm urging you not to consign your trust too quickly. That's all.
Amelia: I came to see you ahead of the meeting as a matter of courtesy, not to seek your counsel.

Y/n's POV

* Arthur and I coincidentally ran into Compeyson. We walked and talked all the way into an alleyway *
Compeyson: We must make ourselves indispensable. Leave all the talking to me.
Arthur: Well, how am I to become indispensable if I am to sit the entire meeting out in complete silence?
Compeyson: At the moment you can barely maintain personal hygiene. I doubt you have the strength of mind to win back your share of the estate.
* We were about to walk out of the alley until a women stopped us. She was wearing a stunning red dress with curled blond hair*
Sally: Cat got your tongue, has it?
* Compeyson froze in place at the sight of the woman. I was still holding hands with Arthur so I squeezed his hand signaling to him I was nervous. The mysterious woman noticed how close we were and said*
Sally: Ya'll look like a cute couple. Hello, to the both of you. Pleased to make your acquaintance. I am Mrs Compeyson.
* Arthur and I both look toward Compeyson extremely surprised. The woman turned her attention back to Compeyson and said*
Sally: Congratulations. You made it into the society pages. A night of decadence at the Havisham ball. I've been struggling to make ends meet and you've been living the high life.
Compeyson: Let's take this somewhere a little more private and I'll explain...
Sally: Oh, look he's ashamed. Bless him.
Compeyson: Sally, please.
Sally: No! You try getting kicked out of our home by the landlord, neighbors all gawping...
* Compeyson turned to us and put his hands on Arthur's shoulders*
Compeyson: My dear fellows, please go on to our meeting, and offer my sincere apologies to Mr Havisham... Think of something. I'll be there as soon as I can.
Sally: Don't bother with excuses. You tell your Mr Havisham that Meriwether Compeyson is nothing but a lying little weasel. * She said getting dragged off by Compeyson*
Y/n: Holy crap! Compeyson has a wife!? Did you know?
Arthur: No, I never new. Listen we can discuss his affairs later right now we need to get to Satis House.
Y/n: Alright fine...
* Arthur grinned and quickly placed a gentle kiss to my cheek*
Y/n: Give me an actual kiss!
Arthur: When we get back to my place darling~ * He said squeezing my hand and walking out of the alley with me on his tail*

( Inside Satis House )

Amelia: Freind?
Arthur: His oldest and dearest, completely without warning.
Amelia: How awful.
Arthur: He's gone to pay his respects to the family, but hoped to join us shortly.
Amelia: Oh, there are far more important things than this meeting. Are you and Y/n still attending? Arthur, please don't burden yourself with the obligation.
Arthur: I won't embarrass you, Amelia.
* Amelia gazed down toward Arthur's handing suddenly taking notice we were holding hands. Amelia and I gained eye contact as she gave me a questioning glance. I smiled and mouthed " I'll tell you later". She nodded her head and smiled weakly.
Jaggers: Is there a problem?
Arthur: Mr Compeyson is running slightly late. Perhaps we could wait a few minutes?
Jaggers: No, no, no. We can't delay any longer. * He said helping Amelia into the room*
Y/n: Are you alright, Arthur? * I said turning to face him*
Arthur: I'm fine...
Y/n: Arthur..
Arthur: We can talk about it back at the room...
Y/n: Okay.
Arthur: You ready?
Y/n: No, but what could possibly go wrong?

A/n: Thank you so much for reading. Sorry for the long wait. I'll update this story Tuesday, good bye!